Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Wow. For scholarships, it matters if the university is your first choice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Holy balls, how depressing. For a particular scholarship:

"Current and prospective UK and EU undergraduates and postgraduates who have accepted the University of Liverpool as their first choice university are eligible to apply."

:eek::eek:

Have I read that correctly?

ReputationRep:
    Guess it makes sense, if you're not that eager to attend why should they pamper you?

ReputationRep:
    How would they even know? I personally could, and would, never do it, but if you said "yerp, you d00ds are my first choice!", how are they to know otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    They'd ask UCAS people?

ReputationRep:
    Well UCAS would tell them .
    They universities have to know that you've chosen them as first choice so that they can sort out your application and get you to their open days, as would your insurance. Then of course the rejected choices would also need to know so that they can stop sending you stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    I thought UCAS was only for undergrads.

Well, this wrecks my buzz.

ReputationRep:
    Can you post the link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    Can you post the link?
    Sure.

Here it is: http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergrad...nce/lennon.htm

It's called The John Lennon Memorial Scholarship

ReputationRep:
    I guess that statement is only relevant for undergrad. You could be applying to every other university in the country for postgrad and they would never know as you apply directly to the university

ReputationRep:
    There is hope......

ReputationRep:
    The university's condition is fairly common when it comes to postgrad funding. I remember when I applied for AHRC funding at my MA uni, I had to accept the course offer before applying. The University of Liverpool don't want applicants to receive an offer for funding and then study somewhere else. They want a firm commitment to protect their investment.

ReputationRep:
    Hobnob, where art thou?

Maybe you know something about this?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimateJ)
    Hobnob, where art thou?
    :itsme:
    Maybe you know something about this?
    How would I know? I'm not at Liverpool and this is the first time I've ever heard of that scholarship.:confused:
    Anyway, for postgraduates they have no way of ascertaining they're your first choice; the only thing they might do is make you pay a deposit (as well as dangle that scholarship in front of you, I suppose) in the hope that you'll then make them your first choice. But really, your guess is as good as mine here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Well UCAS would tell them .
    They universities have to know that you've chosen them as first choice so that they can sort out your application and get you to their open days, as would your insurance. Then of course the rejected choices would also need to know so that they can stop sending you stuff.
    UCAS is only for undergraduates. This is a postgrad forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    UCAS is only for undergraduates. This is a postgrad forum!
    Oh! How do postgraduates apply then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellakrystina)
    Oh! How do postgraduates apply then?
    Postgrads apply to each university separately, and can apply to as many or as few as they like. Funding is hard to come by though, hence the OP's anxiety about this scholarship.

OP, I honestly have no idea how they'd be able to tell that they're your first choice. I'm guessing they'll have something up their sleeve though. Maybe they'll make you sign something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    Postgrads apply to each university separately, and can apply to as many or as few as they like. Funding is hard to come by though, hence the OP's anxiety about this scholarship.
    That's interesting, thanks .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.