Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The chart below is the number of admitted students from 2003-2009 in my College (Malaysia). Look at the Oxford:Cambridge ratio, it's saddening!!

University Total
    University of Cambridge 52
    University of Oxford 4
    Imperial College London 297
    University of Edinburgh 176
    University College London 310
    King's College London 166
    LSE 226
    Cardiff University 209
    University of Manchester 642
    University of Warwick 496

So what can you deduce from it? imo, I think the chances of me getting in is as slim as the figure given... sigh

ReputationRep:
    You can correctly deduce that Manchester rocks.

errrm - you couldn't find a way to draw stink lines coming off LSE?

ReputationRep:
    good

ReputationRep:
    Try doing a graph of ratio of applicants:acceptances. Then i'll actually pay attention to your graph.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by manthew)
    So what can you deduce from it? imo, I think the chances of me getting in is as slim as the figure given... sigh
    You can't really deduce anything of the sort, as they obviously don't base their decision on which school you went to.:erm:
    There are lots of possible explanations why more people from your school went to Cambridge rather than Oxford, which is probably going to be reflected in the number of applications as well. For example, they could have been attracted by courses which Oxford doesn't offer, like NatSci or a straight economics course. Alternatively, they could have gone for Cambridge because of that old stereotype about it being "better for sciences" (according to a Malaysian friend of mine, Malaysian schools tend to push you more towards the sciences than towards humanities or social sciences, so it's probably a fair guess that a lot of those Cambridge applicants were prospective scientists). Or they could simply have listened to your teachers talking about your school having a "better record" with Cambridge, thinking it would improve their chances - even though it wouldn't have, of course.
    Either way, this has nothing to do with your personal chances. Those will depend on how well you do in your interviews, so I'd say you should just focus on those.

ReputationRep:
    I can deduce that you won't get in.

Not directly because of the graph, but the fact that you though that graph means you won't. I echo what Rubgish said.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.