Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a dilema here guys.

I have an offer for Grant Thornton Audit and I'm considering whether to bother applying to the Big 4 in audit as well.

My reasons are although training, work life balance and career progression are greater at Grant Thornton and it is still one of the top and most respected firms in the world, it is not Big 4.

Does the prestige of working for a Big 4, even if I feel the experience will not be as good trump all of the aforementioned factors about Grant Thornton. I plan to go into industry or a finance banking role after achieving my chartered accountant status.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge that could help me make a decision or have also been in this situation.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Just go for GT - unless you really really want to work for big4 and are sure you will get an offer (GT will want a response eventually and big4 might take a while to get through the whole recruitment process)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.G.O.A.T)
    My reasons are although training, work life balance and career progression are greater at Grant Thornton and it is still one of the top and most respected firms in the world, it is not Big 4.
    Out of interest, which department did you apply for? Audit will be long hours at both sets of firms.

Career progression for the first five years is "everyone is the same". After that it all depends on how good you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.G.O.A.T)
    I'm in a dilema here guys.

I have an offer for Grant Thornton Audit and I'm considering whether to bother applying to the Big 4 in audit as well.

Does the prestige of working for a Big 4, even if I feel the experience will not be as good trump all of the aforementioned factors about Grant Thornton. I plan to go into industry or a finance banking role after achieving my chartered accountant status.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge that could help me make a decision or have also been in this situation.

Thanks in advance!
    First of all, the training will be better at a big 4, they have a much larger dedicated training team and work closely with the colleges to ensure they get exactly what they want.

I would also expect work life balance to be reasonably similar - heck I have a friend in a small highstreet accountant and he can work similar hours to me (I am at KPMG)

Career progression will also be better at KPMG, you will have more options available to you compared to GT (although GT will still have good options).

You will ultimately work on more prestigeous clients at a big4, this will be more attractive to potential employers when you leave - as will having big4 on your CV.

If I were you I would try for the big4, as you plan to leave once qualifying, you may aswell get a better name on your CV as it wll carry more weight.

As a comment to the post above, everything is not the same for the first five years, I have managed to move to Corporate Finance from Audit after 2 years; if you work hard and are good at the job you will be rewarded with better a payrise, better bonus and more movement options; if you don't do this from the start you will struggle in 5 years to 'stand out' and progress further (all though the usual progression is pretty standardised until your trying for manager).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.