Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm hoping that I'll be able to head down to London in the new year for a bit of sightseeing and to really explore it. The last time I went properly I was 3! And since then I've only been because I've been going through it to somewhere else...not to mention some dreadful school trips a few years back!

I'm looking for ideas of where to go....already got Madame Tussauds on the list. More interested in doing the sightseeing than finding out about pubs, bars etc.

Any help and recommendations would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Camden Market I really want to go there. (It isn't a personal recomendation because I too have barely ever been to London.) And you could do a boat tour down the Thames, I think you can do that.

ReputationRep:
    I like the South Bank - get off the train at Waterloo and head towards the river. You'll see the Houses of Parliament, London Eye, the Aquarium, etc.

Then if you walk downstream you'll go part Tate Modern and the Millennium bridge that goes across to St Paul's. If you keep along the river you'll get to the Globe Theatre.

Definitely my favourite touristy part of London!

ReputationRep:
    Camden Town!
    And I agree with Southbank - walking from London Eye to Blackfriars bridge next to Thames is great! Great views.
    Check Covent Garden aswell, preferably on Saturday - many street performers and musicians.
    Try and take the tour bus (the one with live comments) and get a really good tour.
    Natural History & Science museum - two of best museums ever, I've been there 3 times in 5 weeks

ReputationRep:
    Peckham, social degeneration in its finest form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torrchy)
    Camden Town!
    And I agree with Southbank - walking from London Eye to Blackfriars bridge next to Thames is great! Great views.
    Check Covent Garden aswell, preferably on Saturday - many street performers and musicians.
    Try and take the tour bus (the one with live comments) and get a really good tour.
    Natural History & Science museum - two of best museums ever, I've been there 3 times in 5 weeks
    THIS

The Science museum is absolutely brilliant! spent like 4 hours in there last wednesday.
    Camden is great also!.

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Camden last year and whilst it was an alright place to live the market is really touristy and not really that good IMO. If you're looking to actually buy clothes or other things I would highly recommend either Portobello or Spitalfields markets instead.

Other things I think are good... Going on the Eye on a clear day is pretty! Also walking along the river is pretty nice unless it is rainy! There are street performers in some parts which are entertaining! Also whichever museums you like. If I didn't live in London and was coming for a day I would also check out whatever shops I didn't have in my town (always used to be Urban Outfitters then big Topshop then Selfridges whenever I came for day trips before).

ReputationRep:
    hard rock cafe

ReputationRep:
    If you get the tube to Green Park you can walk across the park to Buckingham Palace, from their to Westminster to see Big Ben, Westminster Abby & Parliament, across the river to see the London Eye, and from there to the South Bank, then down to the Globe, or the Tate Modern

Other places: St Pauls, the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square, the British Museum.

ReputationRep:
    I went London a few weeks with my boyfriend, loved it
    Portobello Road Market rarther good
    Also went to a huge market a 15 minute walk from Southwark began with B can't remember the name, nice though if markets your thing
    Westminister
    Leicester square
    Convent garden had a food market a few weeks ago when I was there, I thought it was interesting loadsa different foods from all over the world.
    Ermmm Trafalgar square, have the British Gallery and Nelsons column obviously.
    Buckingham palace is always a touristy place
    And the horseguards.
    Science and national history museums are good.

Oo. and at Hyde park at the moment there's something called winterwonderland, loads of xmas stalls and rides that's until 4th Jan I believe, very pretty at night.

I would have never done all that if I didn't have my boyfriend with me who knows London rather well.:p: done loads more than that

ReputationRep:
    Hounslow ... full of asians ... its awesome

ReputationRep:
    Hampstead Heath

ReputationRep:
    Hampstead Heath's lovely and definitely worth a trip, if only to fantasise about how nice it would be to be able to afford to live there!
    I also echo the recommendations to walk along the river - if you get the tube to Charing Cross, you can see Trafalger Square, and then you can walk towards the river to see parliament and the abbey, and then you can walk over the river to oodle at the London Eye. There are usually a lot of street performers around there at the weekend, too. It's nice to walk up the river towards the National Theatre and you will end up at the Tate Modern eventually.

I like walking through Hyde Park, too.

South Kensington is the area for the Science Museum, Natural History Museum and the V&A. I'd recommend all of them. I also really like the Imperial War Museum in Elephant and Castle.

If you want shopping, then definitely head for Westfield, but it's absolutely mental there at the moment because we're so close to Christmas. A trip to Harrods is always worthwhile, even if it's just to walk aimlessly around the food hall or to dream about marrying a multi-millionaire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Hampstead Heath
    Just watch out for a middle-aged Greek homosexual that goes under the pseudonym of George Michael :eek:

ReputationRep:
    YEA! Go to Hampstead Heath... That's where my house is!

It's really nice, looking over London... love it!

ReputationRep:
    Go Soho!

ReputationRep:
    Wembley!!!!!!11

ReputationRep:
    my house ;D *shady eyebrow movement*

alternatively, pay a visit to greenwich and of course, oxford street (although that'll probbaly be packed from shoppers trying to capitalise on any post-christmas deals) x

ReputationRep:
    Camden market, Chinatown, South Bank walk as TC said above, the museums and Oxford Street if you're that type of girl. :camp: Though in the new year you miss all the christmas stuff. :sad: Also there's nelson's column in trafalgar square and marble arch as monuments. Go to Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus too, as well as some of the parks like regents park and hyde park.

ReputationRep:
    Brixton.

jk dont go there.

If you're into sightseeing then you should check out places like St. Pauls, the London Eye, Southbank, Regent Street/Oxford Street and Leicester square.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.