Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Basically, I'm a uni grad finding it difficult to find a job at the moment so I'm looking into the possibility of studying for ACCA.
    Having completed uni with a 2:2, so you can imagine the difficulty in finding a job in this current climate, so the only option I could think of is studying for ACCA.

I graduated with an Accountancy and Business degree, meaning I would probably be able to get about 5 exemptions. This therefore means I have 9 (Out of 14?) left to do already.

Now this is the part I was hoping to find some help from people whose more fimiliar with ACCA.

1) Whats the basic costs involving ACCA? Including tution in a college, registering for ACCA, exams and any others I don't know about.

2) As a student, would you recommend doing 4 exams per term? I'm a full-time student and I was able to do 4 modules per semester at uni therefore I'm assuming I'd be able to do this as well. My basic objective is to knock the exams out in 1 and a half year? :P

There are probably other questions I may have so please be nice .

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    1) differs a lot due to competition in the market - kaplan, bpp both have college tuition and distance learning. you can also do an online course - you need to research really - should be a few hundreds for starter papers plus exam/registration fees (you also have to pay for exemptions)

2) For earlier (and easier) exams you could do it but for later ones it may be harder

assuming the next exam session you are eligible for is in june you can study for them and if you aren't ready for 4 do the rest in december (delaying further might mean a syllabus change and hence needing new books and learning different things)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456789)
    1) differs a lot due to competition in the market - kaplan, bpp both have college tuition and distance learning. you can also do an online course - you need to research really - should be a few hundreds for starter papers plus exam/registration fees (you also have to pay for exemptions)

2) For earlier (and easier) exams you could do it but for later ones it may be harder

assuming the next exam session you are eligible for is in june you can study for them and if you aren't ready for 4 do the rest in december (delaying further might mean a syllabus change and hence needing new books and learning different things)
    1) I was hoping to get a round figure to be honest. I wouldn't have the slightest clue and I needed some idea with a breakdown before I make this decision.
    I wouldn't be sure about the method of learning which would best suit me but I think attending classes would be best.

2) Thanks. I'll probably give 4 per term an ambitious try or 3 depending on how many exemptions I do receive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiser)
    1) I was hoping to get a round figure to be honest. I wouldn't have the slightest clue and I needed some idea with a breakdown before I make this decision.
    I wouldn't be sure about the method of learning which would best suit me but I think attending classes would be best.

2) Thanks. I'll probably give 4 per term an ambitious try or 3 depending on how many exemptions I do receive.
    1. BPP courses are £500-600 per course. www.bpp.com
    ACCA fees - ~ £70 annual subscription for students. Exam fees are ~£70-85 depending on level.

2. Full time student - should have no problem doing 3 exams per sitting, ie. 3 every 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    bump

Finding it difficult to use this site, as I keep getting errors when I post something....

Anyway, this is my basic analysis so please clear up any confusion I may have:

Inital Reg (10 years?) = £72
    Yearly Reg = £72
    Exemptions: 3 x 52 = £156
    3 x 72 = £216
    Study method through LSBF's recorded lecture and notes:
    £300 per paper = £900
    Possible Total: £1416

Didn't include Books/study materials because I'm not sure how much they will cost. Not certain how much the exam paper's cost, so I didn't add it yet. If theres anything I left out, please let me know.

Plus, on personal experience would people recommend the study method I have chosen? According to the site, with the £300 I spend, I get record lectures, notes & revision notes, pass guarantee (Free next term if I fail), self assessment exams, mock exams and on-line tutor support.

Thanks in advance

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.