Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have just been offered a graduate scheme position with one of the Big 4 but I have got myself into a panic about the CRB checks and what will show up.

Though I have no criminal convictions I was issued a caution for common assault just over 2 years ago. I understand that the form only asks you to disclose criminal convictions and that cautions are "spent" immediately after issue and do not have to be declared on the application form but this job for me is a dream come true. I have struggled through abuse, a broken family and poverty where I have been paying for all my expenses since 16 working long hours for crappy pay to enable my further and higher education. This job for me represents reward for my dedication and perseverance.

This caution is the only blemish on my criminal record and though friends have assured me that it doesn't matter I can't help but worry. I have also through further investigation found that when signing your ICAEW contract they ask whether you have ever had any altercations with the law (or something to that end) and not just about "criminal convictions" as such I am a little worried that the ICAEW will not permit to study towards the ACA on that basis.

Will it show up? (Do they do an enhanced CRB for this to be the case)
    Will it matter? (Since it isn't theft or fraud)
    Will they want more information?
    Am I needlessly worrying?

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest, you don't want to be known as a lier before you have even started, and I am sure they will understand, when you fill out the CRB send a little note in with it explaining!

Or call up HR and explain to them

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was under the impression that they do the checks and the results return back.

Are you telling me that you have to fill out a CRB form and declare all the incidences in the past or just criminal convictions to your knowledge?

Forgive my lack on knowledge on the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really panicking now. I was under the impression that CRB's do not show cautions but I have received information to the contrary from calling various official bodies. Only the scottish basic disclosure doesn't show cautions but the standard and enhanced (the only ones available in England) do show cautions.

I have been told that many firms do go to Scotland to get their CRB's done but in accountancy you will likely be looking at atleast a standard level CRB check.

Now I am really stressed.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Similar position, I was cautioned for assault when I was 15. Had some work experience over the summer at an investment bank and spent days worrying about whether I'd be CRB checked before I began. I wasn't luckily, but I spent a long time really researching the matter on the internet. If you get a standard or enhanced CRB a caution will show up unfortunately. I am of the opinion that you would be best to explain the events that led to the caution. Let me know how you get on.

ReputationRep:
    I just started with KPMG and wasn't checked.

ReputationRep:
    Asterix are you serious that you didn't have to fill out a CRB form?

Also Banjo I am curious. Since it is a caution for common assault and an isolated incident do you think it will have a great impact upon my offer of employment because it isn't a theft, fraud or drugs charge and I otherwise have an unblemished record.
    Do you also think I should inquire into the likely implications for my offer of employment before having the CRB done and gather some character references to vouch for me?

ReputationRep:
    Do these firms tend to employ an enhanced or standard level of CRB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirGuitar)
    Do these firms tend to employ an enhanced or standard level of CRB.
    I believe I read that all FSA regulated jobs require an enhanced CRB check. I couldn't provide a source as I read up about it all a few months ago.

Personally I don't think it will have any implication on an offer of employment. I don't think a character reference would be necessary to be honest. Probably more important to say what you learnt from it.

ReputationRep:
    Asterix are you serious that you didn't have to fill out a CRB form?

Also Banjo I am curious. Since it is a caution for common assault and an isolated incident do you think it will have a great impact upon my offer of employment because it isn't a theft, fraud or drugs charge and I otherwise have an unblemished record.
    Do you also think I should inquire into the likely implications for my offer of employment before having the CRB done and gather some character references to vouch for me?
    Its not the employer you should worry about its the ICAEW, I am pretty sure a caution from common assault is enough for them to disbar you from membership. They are VERY strict about crminal records, the only stuff thats really allowable is stuff they class as "youthful exuberance" i.e. vandlaism etc. Thats what we were all told in our first week.

Your best bet is to ring the ICAEW confidentially and just ask. You can appeal for extenuating circumstances but they arnt very often successul. One member had to go through 9 months of appeal for an assault charge, for beating up his sister boyfriend who was beating her....

I am not sure what you should do tbh, you can either not say anything and hope it doesnt show up but if it does at any point the ICAEW will probably boot you which means the sack.

Or

Declare it and go for extenuating circumstances?

Out of all the people training for the ACA there must be people with worst convictions/cautions so not really sure???

Anyone any expierience of this?

ReputationRep:
    I know there have been some people on here that have had cautions for drug possession who have been worried about the likely implications for their offer but have never been back on give the outcome both with the firm and ICAEW.

ReputationRep:
    I know there have been some people on here that have had cautions for drug possession who have been worried about the likely implications for their offer but have never been back on give the outcome both with the firm and ICAEW.
    Ita probably not the news you want to hear but when the icaew made the presentation it was made crystal clear that anything apart from "youthful exuberence" (as you 18-19 I'm guessing, this wouldn't apply) would result in being barred from membership and he made a point that violent crimes against people were taken particularly seriously. I'm not saying this to worry you etc just what was said and made clear when we were completing the fit and proper forms.

You really need to ring the icaew and ask it's the only concrete way to find out.

We all mistakes unfortunatley this one might come back to haunt you, although fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Don't panic, unless you've done something serious like touch kids - in which case you probably work for KPMG anyway.

A caution is nothing, most minor offenences are spent after 5 years. most partners are drink/drug or vice girl addicts.

Heck they'll probably think you'll be good in a scrap when you all get kicked out the nightclub at the office party for doing the David Brent dance.

ReputationRep:
    edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nav1980)
    Lol. Don't panic, unless you've done something serious like touch kids - in which case you probably work for KPMG anyway.

A caution is nothing, most minor offenences are spent after 5 years. most partners are drink/drug or vice girl addicts.

Heck they'll probably think you'll be good in a scrap when you all get kicked out the nightclub at the office party for doing the David Brent dance.
    You clearly have no idea do you. I would ignore that post and either ring the ICAEW and talk about it confidentially or just cross your fingers. It is minor bu tthey are ridiculously strict on anything.

ReputationRep:
    Okay as Big Dave is stoking the irrational fear your hopes and dreams are going to be crushed:

I have a criminal record - DR70 - failure to provide a specimen of breath.

ICAEW had no issue with that, the only thing they that matters to them is fraud/theft, or really serious crime.

Forget about it and move on - enhanced disclosures are for people working with vulnerable people or for regulated money institutions - so they need to check if you have ever been involved in crimes against vulnerable people or any type of minor fraud/theft - along with the serious crimes that are never spent.

Minor convictions are spent after 5 years - which means legally if someone asks you if you have ever been convicted - you can reply "no".

You haven't even got a criminal record.

Seriously - stop worrying, forget about the past and move on, you've got the job - well done.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys
    did anyone try an online prep course for the tests???

ReputationRep:
    So Nav1980 would your advice be to declare it because they won't really care and because failure to do so could get you chucked out the institute. If they find out there after is it guaranteed you will be chucked out because of deceit?

The general consensus seems to be that violent crimes are frowned upon. Even though common assaults are the least severe assault charge/caution and issued for pushing someone and only issued if the "victim" hasn't sustained any injury. So much as a bruise or scratch would have landed me with a more serious charge.

In my case I preemptively pushed someone when they were being abusive and getting aggressive. I thought the "victim" was gonna strike me so I pushed him on his arse before he had the opportunity to.

This is justice (note the sarcasm).

ReputationRep:
    Phone the ICAEW student helpline tomorrow as you are wasting time worrying about it for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    It's a caution not a conviction, so you should be ok. Is you're job deffo going to ask for a crb check? I read only 1 in 20 get the check or something..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.