Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I just received a big scary letter saying I'm going to be 'inspected' as I haven't paid for a t.v. license. Now, as I don't own a t.v., there I was thinking 'meh'.

Until the part of the letter mentioned a laptop.

"If our officers find evidence that you are watching or recording television as it is being shown on TV - whether on a laptop, desktop computer... "

What is meant by that? Will I get a fine for watching bbc iplayer? 0.o

Ty to all replies

ReputationRep:
    You do not need a licence to watch TV that ISNT live on iplayer etc. Ignore the letter.

ReputationRep:
    BBC iPlayer isn't live... the key bit of that is "As it is broadcast" i.e live. iPlayer isn't live - so don't stress!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    They send that letter out to a lot of students.

You are allowed to watch shows on iplayer without a license. It's not being streamed live so it's ok. Don't panic!

ReputationRep:
    Although - I believe that you can watch live TV through certain websites. it's a bit of a legal minefield as to whether you need a TV licence to do this - as the law says that a licence is not required if you are watching it on a portable device... like a laptop.

However, a desktop isn't portable. And certain intepretations of the law suggest that a laptop is only 'portable' if not connected to the mains electricity or internet...

I guess the only way to be safe is only to watch iPlayer and avoid sites like tvcatchup.com which are perfectly legal - but are slightly murky in terms of whether a TV licence is required...

ReputationRep:
    Watch live TV on your desktop PC, laptop or any other device, how will they know? Seriously unless you actually have a TV (in which case refuse them entry) it's not a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Watch live TV on your desktop PC, laptop or any other device, how will they know? Seriously unless you actually have a TV (in which case refuse them entry) it's not a problem.
    You can refuse them entry? Doesn't seem likely, surely if you could even TV users would say "I don't own a TV" and refuse entry.

(gotta admit, I do love the sound of telling some Official to bugger off )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    You can refuse them entry? Doesn't seem likely, surely if you could even TV users would say "I don't own a TV" and refuse entry.

(gotta admit, I do love the sound of telling some Official to bugger off )
    Of course, you can refuse anyone entry who does not have a warrant. They prey on others stupidity & lack of understanding of the law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Of course, you can refuse anyone entry who does not have a warrant. They prey on others stupidity & lack of understanding of the law.
    True. What about if it's rented property? The university technically own my room.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbctvlicence.com/

read that

they can send you letters forever and you can ignore them forever. even the ones that say 'you'll be fined, you'll be taken to court blah blah blah' (actually from the website above they always say 'you MAY be fined, you MIGHT have to go to court') if they send someone you can refuse entry. just make sure nothing's visible from the door or window.

ReputationRep:
    why the neg rep? i just stated some facts! deary me

ReputationRep:
    Why haven't you got a TV? What do you watch your Sean Connery box set on? What about at christmas when they air Goldfinger?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.