Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I depressed, or just self-indulgent? Watch

I'm at an Oxbridge college, and most of the time I'm very happy. I've just finished my first term and got a First, and my DoS told my parents that I was the brightest person doing my subject that they'd had for several years. But every time I think about doing well academically, I don't feel pleased, I feel like I've cheated and got away with it. Even though I've worked really hard this term, I feel like I really don't deserve to do well, and the more I think about it, the more miserable I feel about it. What's worse is that my supervisor next term is someone who interviewed me and, according to my DoS, really liked me and clamoured for them to give me a place. I feel like I don't know anything, am going to have to spend all holiday reading (although I do enjoy that) and then will inevitably prove a huge disappointment to him.

What's worse is that I've developed this frankly ridiculous crush a completely unattainable (for several reasons) person at my college who is -of course- barely aware of my existence. I am annoyed with myself about this, because if I think about it, I don't even really want anything to actually happen, but I can't seem to stop brooding over it and feeling miserable about it.

As I said, most of the time I'm very happy. I have lots of friends, I don't find the work too bad, and if I told anyone about this they'd look at me in disbelief. But more and more I just have these periods of complete weltering misery and despair when I think about harming myself (as a kind of release rather than a cry for attention!) and can't seem to stop feeling unhappy. I'm home now, and though I'm glad to see my family, I feel as though everything is faintly unreal, like the real me is locked inside somewhere and I'm just going through the motions. I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    yawn

ReputationRep:
    look for validation elsewhere retard.

Depressed you are not.

(Original post by jolteon)
    look for validation elsewhere retard.
    I'm not looking for validation. I'm asking for advice. It's no more retarded than the hundreds of threads full of people asking if they look fat or whether they should have sex.

ReputationRep:
    no, it's just as retarded. go and find whats missing from your life because whatever it is, it shouldnt be attention from people on a webforum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not looking for validation. I'm asking for advice. It's no more retarded than the hundreds of threads full of people asking if they look fat or whether they should have sex.
    Actually you have a point there haha.
    No, you're not depressed, you're just having one of those moods that most people have once in a while. I felt much the same after breaking my back because physio was so hard that I thought I'd never be walking properly again. However, thankfully my family came to the rescue and told me to stop moping around and now I'm fine.
    I suggest that you get a hobby and if you're still really having problems, give the Samaritans a ring. Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.