Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    This is anon because I have family on here.

    I'm 2nd year at uni and have just received grades for my 1st semester coursework, I worked my arse off and here's what I got for my 3 pieces of work: 72, 65, 45.

    I'm fine with the first two but - what the hell 46 . I read through the feedback and it seems that although the coursework is fine overall I actually misinterpreted the brief and so I've answered it using the complete wrong theory.

    So, will this badly affect my degree ? The coursework is worth 60% of the module and I have an exam in Janurary for the other 40%. Will I need like 100% in the exam? It's totally not going to happen. Has this happened to anyone else, what did you do?
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    Whoops, I meant 45. Also, it's the other way around: essay = 40%, exam = 60%
    Offline

    15
    ReputationRep:
    Why's this in Health and Relationships?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Yes, I would ask your parents for a burger flipper this Christmas, as you are going to have a peasants life soon enough.
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    This should go in the general discussion forum.
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Why's this in Health and Relationships?
    Can't use anon elsewhere.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    err for your sake lets look at this mathematically,

    72+65+45= 182/300= 60.6%

    now, this countrs for 40 percent of your total grade. i assume you have one exam for 100 marks, lets say you get a 70.

    so 40%*60 = 24 and 60%*70= 42

    24+42= 66

    does 66 look like a good overall? if yes well then no problems. if not, Score accordingly on the exam.

    if you get a 70, total score= 66%
    80, total score= 72
    90, total score= 78
    100, total score= 84

    all the best.
    AND NO, im not a nerd :|
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is anon because I have family on here.

    I'm 2nd year at uni and have just received grades for my 1st semester coursework, I worked my arse off and here's what I got for my 3 pieces of work: 72, 65, 45.

    I'm fine with the first two but - what the hell 46 . I read through the feedback and it seems that although the coursework is fine overall I actually misinterpreted the brief and so I've answered it using the complete wrong theory.

    So, will this badly affect my degree ? The coursework is worth 60% of the module and I have an exam in Janurary for the other 40%. Will I need like 100% in the exam? It's totally not going to happen. Has this happened to anyone else, what did you do?
    here, quoted you, so youd atleast see my post above and stop freaking out and begin to study. jan isnt far.

    and i guess i should go back to not being so worried for others.
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by swordedstone)
    err for your sake lets look at this mathematically,

    72+65+45= 182/300= 60.6%

    now, this countrs for 40 percent of your total grade. i assume you have one exam for 100 marks, lets say you get a 70.

    so 40%*60 = 24 and 60%*70= 42

    24+42= 66

    does 66 look like a good overall? if yes well then no problems. if not, Score accordingly on the exam.

    if you get a 70, total score= 66%
    80, total score= 72
    90, total score= 78
    100, total score= 84

    all the best.
    AND NO, im not a nerd :|
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    They are 3 different modules though, so

    Module A) 72/100 Plus the Exam in Jan is out of 100, then the two marks out of 100 are put to together.

    Mod B) 65/100
    Plus Exam in Jan is out of 100

    Mod C) 45/100
    Plus Exam in Jan is out of 100

    They're all weighted as 40% coursework and 60% exam.

    I've no idea how to work it out

    If you could help I would really appreciate it!
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    They are 3 different modules though, so

    Module A) 72/100 Plus the Exam in Jan is out of 100, then the two marks out of 100 are put to together.

    Mod B) 65/100
    Plus Exam in Jan is out of 100

    Mod C) 45/100
    Plus Exam in Jan is out of 100

    They're all weighted as 40% coursework and 60% exam.

    I've no idea how to work it out

    If you could help I would really appreciate it!
    well you realy are in better position is thats the case.

    40%*72= 28.8 taking 70 in the exam, total= 70.8 % - first module

    - =68 % second module

    --------------------------------------------------------= 60% third module.

    all if this is assuming your score a 70 in the jan exams. But tbh, 2nd year isnt crazy tough to score in if you have attended lectures done assignments and reading and have ESSAY TYPE QUESTIONS. MCQ with neg marking, you'l score just around 70 if you're slightly above avg.

    does this make sense to you? x
    • #1
    • Thread Starter
    #1

    (Original post by swordedstone)
    well you realy are in better position is thats the case.

    40%*72= 28.8 taking 70 in the exam, total= 70.8 % - first module

    - =68 % second module

    --------------------------------------------------------= 60% third module.

    all if this is assuming your score a 70 in the jan exams. But tbh, 2nd year isnt crazy tough to score in if you have attended lectures done assignments and reading and have ESSAY TYPE QUESTIONS. MCQ with neg marking, you'l score just around 70 if you're slightly above avg.

    does this make sense to you? x
    Thanks for your reply again. Oh I'm so bad at Maths, I don't understand it. How do you work it out?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    OMG, I'm in my 1st year and have got loads of assessments coming up. This is scaring me! :-O
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.