Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've just about finished my first semester of my first year at Newcastle Uni, and have enjoyed it. We've now been given the option to sign up for our semester 2 seminars. Everything has fit into my timetable great, apart from one 2 hour seminar. My options for it are either Monday 4-6, when I finish at one, giving me a huge 3 hour gap in the middle of the day with nothing to do, and a late finish. Tuesday 1-3, which means that I would have solid lectures/seminars for 5 hours, from 12-5 with no breaks. Or Thursday 9-11, meaning I lose the only day off I have.

I was just wondering what you guys think would be the best option? I currently have it as Tuesday 1-3, as I feel that that's the lesser of the 3 evils, but I don't know if 5 hours solid would be too much. Anyone have any experience with that? How did you cope?

Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar dilemma.

I have the ingredients to bake:

A) A cake
    B) Sausage Surprise
    C) An army of ginger bread men

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    3 hours is nothing its library time...
    1 hour is never enough in the library...
    last year i had something at 9-10 am then nothing till 3pm
    i used to spend that time in the library doing reading for modules...

5 hours solid wouldnt be too bad... i used to have 4 hours... but then by the end of the semester i did miss quite a few.... but 12 - 5 is the better part of the day to have it... lie in, lunch on the way in... then home for dinner... id be tempted by this one...

your lucky you get the choice... we choose our modules and get told where to be and when means long gaps, and lots of things in a row in completely different buildings...
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably opt for the gap with the late finish. You can put that time to good use and get quite a lot of work done in the university library etc.

I've had blocks of 5 hours. They are a nightmare and you stop taking things in after the first hour or so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.