Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR G492 Jan 2011 Advance Notice Article Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

Taking this for the second time after just missing out on the grade I wanted.

Got my paper back from last year and it seems the main areas I fell down on was this Advance Notice Article. :confused:

This article seems pretty straight forward, but then again I thought that last year as well. :eek:

So, does anyone have any possible questions they think might come up, or any opinion on the article.

Much appreciate any responses, as I am at a loss for any questions they might get us to do.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing this exam
    I looked back at old advance notice and basically made a list of the type of things you get asked on.

Mean + spreads of data (and how precise to be)
    outliers
    ways of getting bad results/readings
    uncertainties - percentage uncertainties
    significant figures
    lines of best fit
    sensitivity and it's unit of measurement

I'll post up some stuff once I've started on the current advance notice

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this exam on Monday too. Not liking this pre release much!
    I cant seem to find a thread like last years, which went through the [re release and had some really good stuff.
    any one have any ideas/thoughts on this pre release?

ReputationRep:
    I hate Section B of this paper! I'm sitting it on Monday as well, fingers crossed OCR will be kind.
    I'm struggling to find any information on the pre-release material as well, the first page shouts to me uncertainties with graphs. Also the whole transfer of energy as well?
    Any other thoughts on it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm also resitting this module. Anyone have good notes/model answers to section C?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you know how to record a value from Tycho Brahe's machine. Would bet money if I could that it will ask that question.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that will definately come up...if anyone has any questions that they reckon will come up, please post on here...i will post some up later!

ReputationRep:
    Here's one that I'm prettty sure will come up: 'A larger value of the slit separation d reduces the percentage uncertainty in this measurment but makes it harder to measure the fringe seperation x'.

1.) Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am also retaking this exam tomorrow. However, i am unable to understand Brahe's machine and how it works. I am unable to understand why on figure 6, (2x10)+6 is added onto 41. I understand that its close to 41 but where did the 6 and 2 x 10 come from and how does the 26 turn into 0.43.

Any help much appreciated
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have model answers? Last year our college gave us a mock section C with the sort of questions they could ask and gave us the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niro_93)
    Hi
    I am also retaking this exam tomorrow. However, i am unable to understand Brahe's machine and how it works. I am unable to understand why on figure 6, (2x10)+6 is added onto 41. I understand that its close to 41 but where did the 6 and 2 x 10 come from and how does the 26 turn into 0.43.

Thank you
    Okay I'll try and help. The (2x10) come from the amount of increments from 41. This gives as you can see 2 rectangles. However the line is half wayish along another block. Therfore you have to count the dots. The line touches the sixth dot.

The value '41' is in degrees so that's good but the '(2x10)' and '6' need to be divided by 60 to get degrees. So you get 41+ (((2x10)+6)/60). Whish equals 41.13 degress. Ask again if you're still stuck.

ReputationRep:
    See attached.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxG492 Jan 2011 prerelease Qs and As.docx (25.8 KB, 296 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YdLeet)
    See attached.
    Thank you very very much!

ReputationRep:
    See attached.

What codec do you need to view this? I can open it but only get various images numbers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alibond07)
    What codec do you need to view this? I can open it but only get various images numbers
    MS Word 2007 or anything later. What are you using?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niro_93)
    Hi

Thank you
    If you look in the image of Fig. 6, you'll see that the angle pointed to by the cursor is between 41 degrees and 42.

We get (2 x 10) from the two rectangles after the 41 degrees line, the rectangles are highlighted as "10` divisions" on the diagram, and then the +6 is how far the cursor is along the 3rd 10` division. I hope I've cleared it up enough for you to see it with my awkward explanation. So this (2 x 10) + 6 gives a value of 26` which subsequently gives 41 degrees and 26` which equals 41.43 degrees.

Also I think in the Brahe section, there may well be a question on converting the 10` divisions to degrees etc. There'll definitely be an error due to parallax and as said before how to record a value from this method.

Hope everyone's revision is going well

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I just saw that alibond07 answered your question and probably should of refreshed before replying!

ReputationRep:
    See attached.
    Thank you very much!!!! I found that really helpful!

good luck everyone with the exam!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone. Just wondering if anyone else thought there were some mistakes in those A+Q? Thanks for posting them though, they've been a great tool.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i did think there were some mistakes such as when working out the %uncertanity of h, they wrote 0.007/1.3x100.....but i think it should have been 0.13 instead of 1.3.......

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.