Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've just been sent my application back from my UCAS Referee to sort a few niggles out, but I noticed my predicted grades were BBB. Now I'm thinking, will it be worth applying to universities (Mechanical Engineering) like Nottingham/Aston where their entry requirements are typically ABB-BBB? I know I can achieve, but with courses having their entry requirements upped all the time, I don't know whether to keep both or drop Nottingham (I want to go to Aston) because it will feel like a wasted choice.

Quick replies appreciated, hopefully I get my app sent today!

ReputationRep:
    you should definitely apply to nottingham, maybe you ll get an offer.Give it a shot just write a solid statement and include some extra curricular activities. you ll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by implicity)
    Ok, I've just been sent my application back from my UCAS Referee to sort a few niggles out, but I noticed my predicted grades were BBB. Now I'm thinking, will it be worth applying to universities (Mechanical Engineering) like Nottingham/Aston where their entry requirements are typically ABB-BBB? I know I can achieve, but with courses having their entry requirements upped all the time, I don't know whether to keep both or drop Nottingham (I want to go to Aston) because it will feel like a wasted choice.

Quick replies appreciated, hopefully I get my app sent today!
    What are the rest of your choices? You could apply to Aston and Nottingham as risky choices, as long as you have a couple of BBB choices as appropriate ones and a lower choice for an insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Aston 320-300 UCAS points (also electromechanical engineering, ~300 points)
    Nottingham ABB-BBB
    Leicester BBB-BBC
    City BBC

What would you think?

If electromechanical is not what I should be looking at then maybe I could substitute it for another mech eng course at a different uni, but Aston is where I want to go. I could go to my history teacher and ask him to predict me an A so I'll have predicted grades ABB but I don't know if that would help me at all. I don't want to be stuck with an offer I can't meet!

ReputationRep:
    Aston 320-300 UCAS points (also electromechanical engineering, ~300 points)
    Nottingham ABB-BBB
    Leicester BBB-BBC
    City BBC

What would you think?

If electromechanical is not what I should be looking at then maybe I could substitute it for another mech eng course at a different uni, but Aston is where I want to go. I could go to my history teacher and ask him to predict me an A so I'll have predicted grades ABB but I don't know if that would help me at all. I don't want to be stuck with an offer I can't meet!
    If you get an offer at all from them, it could well be ABB anyway ... so if you get a higher prediction, it wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd get a higher offer than you would.

I think they look like a fairly safe spread, but wonder if electromechanical engineering is what you want to be looking at, presumably depends what you want to go ... but you'd need to ask on the engineering forum for that. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Are you going for BEng or MEng courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    If you get an offer at all from them, it could well be ABB anyway ... so if you get a higher prediction, it wouldn't necessarily mean that you'd get a higher offer than you would.

I think they look like a fairly safe spread, but wonder if electromechanical engineering is what you want to be looking at, presumably depends what you want to go ... but you'd need to ask on the engineering forum for that. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Are you going for BEng or MEng courses?
    I was just thinking that considering I fall into their range for typical entry requirements, if I was to receive an offer it would be ABB anyways at least for nottingham. I have no problem with that, it's just that Aston (from the research I have done) in the past apparently have even had mech eng courses on clearing, making me think that they might possibly be kinder with an offer (I know, each year it's getting tougher etc.)

BEng

I'll definately take a look at the engineering forum. I've already been there and looked around the applicant threads but unfortunately I've only been able to find mech eng offers from people going to places I'm not looking at - so I'm unsure.

Like I said I have no problem going to my history teacher asking him to up my predicted to an A, but I'm not sure if that will work in my favour with my "safe" choices, namely Leicester and City.

edit: Thanks for your quick replies, you've helped me on more than just this once iirc

ReputationRep:
    I was just thinking that considering I fall into their range for typical entry requirements, if I was to receive an offer it would be ABB anyways at least for nottingham. I have no problem with that, it's just that Aston (from the research I have done) in the past apparently have even had mech eng courses on clearing, making me think that they might possibly be kinder with an offer (I know, each year it's getting tougher etc.)

BEng

I'll definately take a look at the engineering forum. I've already been there and looked around the applicant threads but unfortunately I've only been able to find mech eng offers from people going to places I'm not looking at - so I'm unsure.

Like I said I have no problem going to my history teacher asking him to up my predicted to an A, but I'm not sure if that will work in my favour with my "safe" choices, namely Leicester and City.

edit: Thanks for your quick replies, you've helped me on more than just this once iirc
    Aston, I've heard are generous if you put them as your firm. Although I have heard this for optometry, so it may very well not apply to mechanical engineering.

Start up a thread, ask if electromechanical engineering is a good idea - more likely to find people who know there - so you'll know whether to apply to that or find another mechanical engineering.

Unis don't usually put up their offers because you're predicted more, because it would make the idea of insurance unis worthless ... but under the circumstances of lots of people applying, they might.

You're welcome. When have I helped you out before (and more importantly, was it actually helpful)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Aston, I've heard are generous if you put them as your firm. Although I have heard this for optometry, so it may very well not apply to mechanical engineering.

Start up a thread, ask if electromechanical engineering is a good idea - more likely to find people who know there - so you'll know whether to apply to that or find another mechanical engineering.

Unis don't usually put up their offers because you're predicted more, because it would make the idea of insurance unis worthless ... but under the circumstances of lots of people applying, they might.

You're welcome. When have I helped you out before (and more importantly, was it actually helpful)?
    If I got any offer from Aston it would be my firm! So hopefully what has happened in the past can hold up at least one more time.. for me

I think you helped me out with some grammar/appropriate capital letters on my personal statement, just did what you recommended and then took it to an english teacher, worked out perfect! So more than helpful thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.