Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cinema on your own? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I looked up a couple threads on other forums for the general view on this. It ranged from most people saying that it's a normal thing to do, to others stating going alone directly proves your life is worthless as you 'have no friends'. I've heard some go as far as concerts/gigs on their own too. I was wondering if anyone here does this? I personally haven't yet, but I'm not seeing a problem with it as;

- You're not exactly spending the majority of your time there in conversation anyway.
    - If you can watch a film on your own at home, why not at the cinema?
    - It's generally 'easier' for me to enjoy watching something alone. I don't have to synchronise laughter at crap jokes with a friend, don't feel uncomfortable during 'awkward' scenes and can form my own opinions of the film afterwards. Personally I hate situations where I'm loving the movie I'm watching but a friend hates it, just can't enjoy it to its potential.

So why do some have a problem with it?

ReputationRep:
    anyone who has a problem with it is worthless and has no friends.

ReputationRep:
    No idea, I'll quite happily go on my own if there's a film I really want to see but my friends are busy or don't want to see it.

ReputationRep:
    **** paying like 7 quid for a film where theres no girl with me to even play the popcorn trick on.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I wouldnt want to be that guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    **** paying like 7 quid for a film where theres no girl with me to even play the popcorn trick on.
    well yer we could just dl the movies and masturbate at home

DID YOU CONSIDER THIS OP>>

ReputationRep:
    just did it twice i think, but I love it.

ReputationRep:
    I worked at Vue for a year and half- and A LOT of people do it. I don't see any problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the kicker is that the cinema is expensive. Therefore it's not so socially acceptable to go there alone as it seems like you are "treating yourself".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti Elephant Mine)
    I looked up a couple threads on other forums for the general view on this. It ranged from most people saying that it's a normal thing to do, to others stating going alone directly proves your life is worthless as you 'have no friends'. I've heard some go as far as concerts/gigs on their own too. I was wondering if anyone here goes alone? I personally haven't yet, but I'm not seeing a problem with it as;

- You're not exactly spending the majority of your time there in conversation anyway.
    - It's generally 'easier' easier for me to enjoy watching something alone. I don't have to synchronise laughter at crap jokes with a friend, don't feel uncomfortable during 'awkward' scenes and can form my own opinions of the film afterwards. Personally I hate situations where I'm loving the movie I'm watching but a friend hates it, just can't enjoy it to its potential.

not really any problems, I wouldn't go to the cinema on my own if the film just came out but i would watch it when its on a last week of screening. that way i can catch up on movies with the cineworld deal before they stop showing it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anti Elephant Mine)
    I looked up a couple threads on other forums for the general view on this. It ranged from most people saying that it's a normal thing to do, to others stating going alone directly proves your life is worthless as you 'have no friends'. I've heard some go as far as concerts/gigs on their own too. I was wondering if anyone here goes alone? I personally haven't yet, but I'm not seeing a problem with it as;

- It's generally 'easier' easier for me to enjoy watching something alone. I don't have to synchronise laughter at crap jokes with a friend, don't feel uncomfortable during 'awkward' scenes and can form my own opinions of the film afterwards. Personally I hate situations where I'm loving the movie I'm watching but a friend hates it, just can't enjoy it to its potential.

Why would you need to synchronise laughter with a friend? :-S I laugh at what I think is funny in a film, regardless of whether or not the person I'm watching it with does.

(Original post by lechaton-x)
    I worked at Vue for a year and half- and A LOT of people do it. I don't see any problem with it.

This. I work for Cineworld and you'd be surprised at how many people actually do go and watch a film alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big-boss-91)
    not really any problems, I wouldn't go to the cinema on my own if the film just came out but i would watch it when its on a last week of screening. that way i can catch up on movies with the cineworld deal before they stop showing it

How are you going to know when they stop showing it though lol? I work for Cineworld and even I don't know when we stop showing a film until I come into work and it's not on anymore or if I read through the film times leaflet.

Unless you mean you look on the internet each week and then if it's not got any showings for the following week you go and watch it? In which case I'll let you off

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't go to the cinema alone.
    I go to shows alone, though.
    Clearly lonely cinema going carries negative connotations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Therefore it's not so socially acceptable to go there alone as it seems like you are "treating yourself".
    This makes no sense.

ReputationRep:
    I have a cineworld unlimited pass and go all the time to see movies alone. If you go early in the morning then you'll find lots of people, usually men are in alone when it's a bit quieter. I like seeing most of the new movies that come out and I see no point in missing them just because i can't find someone to go with to every film. It's only uncomfortable if you go in thinking everyone must be thinking what a loner you are etc... When in reality no one else in the theatre cares, you're just there to sit down and watch the film.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to concerts on my own. To be honest it is the only way I do it, I dont have to worry if the person with me is enjoying themselves or not and can just be myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Shanice_)
    How are you going to know when they stop showing it though lol? I work for Cineworld and even I don't know when we stop showing a film until I come into work and it's not on anymore or if I read through the film times leaflet.

Unless you mean you look on the internet each week and then if it's not got any showings for the following week you go and watch it? In which case I'll let you off
    i just look at the times on cineworld, if the times stops the following week or it been at least 5 weeks after premier date. i like it when i have the whole screen room to myself which happens fairly often, usually i bring along a date too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Popcorn trick? Is that similar to the "yawn as you put your arm around the shoulder" trick or is it a bit more full-on than that.

Regarding the OP, TBH I think I would be put off going to the cinema on my own for a couple of reasons. One is that a lot of people I know seem to go to the cinema quite often with friends and they are the type of people who would make comments if they saw me alone. Yes, I know I should ignore those comments but I'm obviously not self confident. :rolleyes:

Also like the post I have quoted above, unless I really wanted to see it in the cinema for whatever reason and was going with someone else, I would not be willing to pay the price of a ticket when I could buy the DVD for a few quid more, a few months later. The general cinema experience doesn't really appeal to me TBH.

Concerts/gigs are different for me though. I haven't been to one yet but I would have no problem going on my own.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see why you shouldn't go on your own. I don't have anybody to go with. :cry::cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fandabidoze!)
    Popcorn trick? Is that similar to the "yawn as you put your arm around the shoulder" trick or is it a bit more full-on than that.
    Popcorn trick iisss..
    Where you get a bag of popcorn, cut a whole out of the bottom, inset an erect penis inside the whole (hopefully your big so it goes near the top) then casually get your girlfriend/whatever girl your with to dip her hand in to get some popcorn and to her suprise she has grabbed a penis :O

once she has realised, she then proceeds to give you an amazing secret handjob.

ok well thats probably the most wished end of the trick but i doubt that ever happens they probably just usually get a slap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.