Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    My interview is next week, and because I am not from the UK, I dont know much about the journey from London to Cam.
    My interview is at 10.20 monday, what time is it best to take a train in the morning to be there on time? How long will it take to get from the train station in Cam to St John's?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philippat)
    Hey guys,
    My interview is next week, and because I am not from the UK, I dont know much about the journey from London to Cam.
    My interview is at 10.20 monday, what time is it best to take a train in the morning to be there on time? How long will it take to get from the train station in Cam to St John's?
    Thanks
    How will you be getting from the train station to the college? I know which bus you'd have to take if that's the method you were using, but time needed will vary depending on how you intend to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Thanks
    (I selected Tuesday as the day; can't imagine they vary that wildly.) If you were to get the 0845 train from Kings Cross to Cambridge, that would get you to Cambridge at about 0931. Leaving the station, you'll see a lot of bus bays; get the Citi 1 heading towards Arbury - if the trains are on time, there will be be one at 0935 you can catch; if not, the 0945 should still be fine.

The stop nearest St John's is Bridge Street (you can see it on this map, labelled G; that intersection is where St John's is). You'll go past a John Lewis store along the way - it's two stops after that; I think you should see the college or the river in time to press the bell, but just hang around the front of the bus and, once you've passed John Lewis, ask the driver to let you know when you're at Bridge Street.

The journey is about fifteen minutes, so you should be in plenty of time for your interview. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    TheSownRose

Thank you very much. This helped a lot=)

ReputationRep:
    SownRose's advice is sound, but were I you I would be incredibly cautious (possibly overly so) and take the 8:15, arriving in Cambridge at 9:04. The last thing you want is stress from arriving late or being in a rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    SownRose's advice is sound, but were I you I would be incredibly cautious (possibly overly so) and take the 8:15, arriving in Cambridge at 9:04. The last thing you want is stress from arriving late or being in a rush.
    Totally agree! I had my interview today and time really flies! Make sure you have plenty of time to relax too (although this is pretty hard right before the interview :p:).

ReputationRep:
    An aside, but relevant: on the morning I left Cambridge (Tuesday) to come home I wandered towards Bene't St for a bite to eat and a coffee, I must have seen a dozen separate cherubic fresh-faced interviewees in suits being led around town by their parents, some being openly 'coached' by members of their coterie. It was kind of cute and weird seeing how intimidated and scared they were. Yesterday I saw a friend who works for Manchester University, who are having open days that attract a different breed of teenager (the only one I thought existed: brash and bold and fearless - yet also unaware of their own dimness) - some of whom came to my friend and DEMANDED a free lunch, labouring under the misapprehension they were i. entitled to one and ii. that my friend could somehow provide one from his office desk.

So, err, three cheers for the pale intimidated applicants to Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    TheSownRose

Thank you very much. This helped a lot=)
    I was looking around there today, and have better advice for when to stop the bus: you'll see an old-fashioned sweet shop I beside, but if not opposite, the bus and a round church opposite the sweet shop. Press it then, and the bus'll stop pretty much right out St John's.

ReputationRep:
    It's not exactly a long walk, and its virtually a straight line. Christ, you would be there by the time the bus arives. Just print out a map off googlemaps.

ReputationRep:
    I like a road deaf,i am a new member, sorry!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.