Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Worried I might have Asperger's Syndrome. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right. Basicly, I've always thought that I was/am slightly odd in comparison to everybody else, and I've been researching Asperger's Syndrome as i think i may have it. I've decided to post this on here to clarify whether or not you guys think im actually a sufferer of the symptoms or just somebody who reads something and thinks they have it.

My symptoms are:

I started talking at a very early age. I was ridiculed by my peers because i (and i quote) "talked with a posh voice and used grown up words"

I have dyslexia & dyspraxia - Difficulty with writing & as i got older got worse with maths

I have 0 co-ordination, and knock things over all the time (this was always acredited with dyspraxia though)

I stand with a kind of slump

I find it hard to look at people in the eyes; nearly impossible infact.

People call me insensitive. Even though i don't really understand what to do in them situations

My brothers always said i took things too literal. For example: One of them would mock me sarcasticly (humour) and i would go mental thinking they were serious.

I always talk in the wrong register it would seem ( i am constantly told to quieten down, even though i dont realise im talking loudly)

Im quite obsessive compulsive with things. I always check multiple times a day that the doors are locked, and my plugs are unplugged.

I didnt learn to tie my shoelaces untill i was 13 (alongside other various things, i still can't really use a knife and fork properly)

I'm always talking about (dont berate me on this) two subjects (anime & pokémon :P) and i can tell you random trivial facts about both. (for example: Scyther is the only pokemon whom evolves into a pokémon that doesn't have a higher stat overall)

I cannot stand loud noises.

I hate it when something disrupts my usual daily pattern, and i think if anything changes the pattern something bad will occur

I've never really had much of an imaginaton, and i struggle to explain to people what i am thinking.

I've had many teachers telling me to stop being in my "own little world" when i am trying to listen/learn... I don't mean to, i kind of just drift off.

I find it hard to socially interact with people i don't have to. For example - ill refuse to answer the door. Or telephone somebody i don't know.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment. Some feedback would be great. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I would say go get tested but you 100% fit the bill to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    omg your exactly thesame as me and I have dyspraxia (I cant spell), I could have wrote 95% of that. afew of those things are on dyspraxias symtoms but if you think you are you should get tested.

ps if you want to chat about this or pokemon PM me

Just don't join/visit a support forum for something like that. They're depressing and regressive places...

ReputationRep:
    I'd never go on a support forum. Ever. I just want some reasoning as to why i am an oddball.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear more defects that need to be eliminated

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about this Aspergers syndrome but to me most of these things you're saying seem quite normal to me ? is it just me

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, that doesn't mean you have Aspergers. Diagnosing yourself over the internet is redundant.
    If you feel you need help for any of this stuff, seek a diagnosis from someone who actually knows what the **** they are talking about, and get help.

ReputationRep:
    You think they're normal? I mean, I used to myself. But over the years, I have started noticing more and more how i differ to my peers.

+ Blueflare, this is EXACTLY why i am posting on here. I don't want to waste my GPs time on symptoms that only i think i have. I'm asking you guys whether it actually sounds like the symptoms of Asperger's.

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about it, go to the doctors and they'll refer you on to someone else.
    It will depend on your age though. If you are under 18 and go NHS they will most likely refer you to CAMHS (Child and Adolsecent Mental Health Service), but if you're over 18 I'm not sure what protocol is, because the Community Mental Health team where I am only deal with patients with recurrent major depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, eating disorder etc, and not with Aspergers/ Autism.
    Still, worth getting checked out if you're concerned. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    If you're worried about it, go to the doctors and they'll refer you on to someone else.
    It will depend on your age though. If you are under 18 and go NHS they will most likely refer you to CAMHS (Child and Adolsecent Mental Health Service), but if you're over 18 I'm not sure what protocol is, because the Community Mental Health team where I am only deal with patients with recurrent major depression, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, eating disorder etc, and not with Aspergers/ Autism.
    Still, worth getting checked out if you're concerned. Good luck!
    Yeah. I'm currently 17, so i would be in the CAMHS cache area i assume. But i just don't know whether to actually see my GP over this. :|

ReputationRep:
    If there is something concerning you about your health, Go to your GP. Even if nothing is wrong, at least you've got peace of mind , and if there is something wrong, you have peace of mind that you can actually put a diagnosis on it and not feel like you are out of place. It's a win-win situation so just do it, you'll feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrundleThe...?)
    Yeah. I'm currently 17, so i would be in the CAMHS cache area i assume. But i just don't know whether to actually see my GP over this. :|
    If you're concerned, go to your GP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrundleThe...?)
    If it's worrying you, there's no reason for you not to go.
    I think it comes down to if you think the symptoms of Aspergers are affecting your life detrimentally. If they bother you, and you want to do something to change the way you deal with situations, people etc. then it's well worth doing. The people I worked with at CAMHS were lovely (although it wasn't to do with Aspergers).

ReputationRep:
    Right. I might just do that then. Thanks for all the help.

ReputationRep:
    It depends a bit whether you function normally in everyday life, academically ad socially. If you do then I don't really really see the point of seeing your GP but if you have concerns about your day to day function then chat with close relatives, see if they agree with you , and go and see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    oh for goodness sake, you are worried that you might be able to get a label.

I wish people wouldn't think like that. I, and many other users, have AS and believe me it is just a bloody label for another type of personality.

Close down the computer, stop looking at websites that would convince you you have got it, and go outside.

ReputationRep:
    even if you have it, does it mean anything? Whatever problems you have, with some work you can overcome it. From eye contact to even coordination.

ReputationRep:
    :| I would just like some closure as to what i actually am. Can you not understand that? I'd much rather know what i had wrong with me, and how to deal with it. Than not know what it was, and think I'm the only oddball on this world and that i am alone.

+ That was aimed at Mathperson. Sorry. I totally forgot to quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    oh for goodness sake, you are worried that you might be able to get a label.

I wish people wouldn't think like that. I, and many other users, have AS and believe me it is just a bloody label for another type of personality.

Close down the computer, stop looking at websites that would convince you you have got it, and go outside.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.