Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the best workout on the treadmill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm a newbie in the gym and I was just wondering what is the recommended amount of time to spend on a treadmill and how to gain the best routine (if that makes sense!). I'm 19, female, and I weigh 61.5kg, and I wanna lose my tummy fat as the rest of me is quite slim! Should I also use the cycles? Yesterday I started off at a slow speed on the treadmill for about 10 mins, the faster speed for 20 mins, and for the last mins I slowed the speed down to relax. Also, I only plan to go once/twice a week, so not an intense workout every other day please! Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Do HIIT, and don't do it on a treadmill unless you have to

Do weights at the gym

ReputationRep:
    Just as a question, why do you only plan to do it once or twice a week? An intense workout every other day will give you better results for sure.

But, what you're doing sounds fine, just make sure over time you increase length of running/speed, and all will be good.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing once/twice a week because I travel to uni everyday (asian parents!) so the only time I get free during my lectures is that free time for an hour or two but I do plan to increase the speed/workout time as I get used to exercise, just wanted to make sure it was effective as one of my friends said I was doing it wrong!

ReputationRep:
    The better way to do it, especially since you have limited time is a 5 minute slow warm up and then alternate between 40 seconds very fast(sprinting) and 80 seconds slow(slow jog or brisk walk)... Do that for about 15 minutes and you should be completely knackered, if you're not then your psritns aren't fast enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    The better way to do it, especially since you have limited time is a 5 minute slow warm up and then alternate between 40 seconds very fast(sprinting) and 80 seconds slow(slow jog or brisk walk)... Do that for about 15 minutes and you should be completely knackered, if you're not then your psritns aren't fast enough...
    This is the exact workout my friend gave me! Ok well not exact, but it was 30 secs slow walk and 60 seconds sprint, lasting in total 17 mins? Are you sure you're not him in disguise How does that work though? I pay £2.80 everytime I go and it just seems like 17 minutes isn't worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |_0ST)
    This is the exact workout my friend gave me! Ok well not exact, but it was 30 secs slow walk and 60 seconds sprint, lasting in total 17 mins? Are you sure you're not him in disguise How does that work though? I pay £2.80 everytime I go and it just seems like 17 minutes isn't worth it
    Don't go to the gym, jog down to a local park or sportfield and do it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Don't go to the gym, jog down to a local park or sportfield and do it there.
    In this treacherous weather? Even I would suggest otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    In this treacherous weather? Even I would suggest otherwise.
    It depends on where you are but there isn't that much ice or snow around. Plus her version of HIIT isn't really sprinting or HIIT anyway but more a fast run/jog (ie; 60s sprints).

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah it's too cold to go outside here, plus for some reason I tend to actually do something at the gym, instead of thinking ''today I'm gonna go for a run outside'' and sit on my lazy bum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by |_0ST)
    It's all roughly the same workout(Basic variations on HIIT)

60 seconds psrint is a but much though..

I would say 30 if you're not on a treadmill, only said 40 because the treadmills at my gym at least tend to take about 6/7 seconds to speed up from slow pace to sprint pace...

I pay a yearly membership for my gym so i dunno about paying each time you go, as others have said if you're just running and it's not icy then just go outside... Chuck a long sleeve t-shirt on and some tracksuit bottoms and you'll be fine...

ReputationRep:
    You travel to uni everyday. So why does it matter that you have Asian parents?

Anyways, do weights as well

ReputationRep:
    best exercise? crawl on your hands and knees

ReputationRep:
    Actually you can do prowlers on treadmill..... mate tried it recently, just don't turn the machine on push

ReputationRep:
    If your gym has an elliptical trainer, it will do wonders for you. You get a good lower body work out and somewhat of an upper body as well. Treadmills, bikes and steppers are all good for overall fitness. Make sure you work at a level that increases your heart rate and maintain that level for 30+ minutes per workout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonyLeaber)
    If your gym has an elliptical trainer, it will do wonders for you. You get a good lower body work out and somewhat of an upper body as well. Treadmills, bikes and steppers are all good for overall fitness. Make sure you work at a level that increases your heart rate and maintain that level for 30+ minutes per workout.
    what's an elliptical trainer

ReputationRep:
    Running on the road or in a park is so much better than on a treadmill.

It's far easier to push yourself harder; with the treadmill you can just press that little button and you can stop immediately. When you're out on the road, even if you stop you've got to get yourself home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.