Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just received a handful of belated birthday cards, a couple containing money; so should I send them thank you notes/letters? or is that more for presents? This is family I haven't seen in about 5/6 years, and have never sent thank you's before, but now I'm 19 I think it's a bit rude not to acknowledge their kindness.

Thoughts?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Text them?

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should. Where's your manners?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Text them?
    One's a great aunt in her eighties. Not sure that would work...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    One's a great aunt in her eighties. Not sure that would work...
    Text her house phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Text her house phone.
    The likelihood of her knowing how to read it is less than her having a mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always send out Birthday/Christmas thank you letters (but I have the bonus of birthday being close Christmas). I would say you should especially since you've not seen them in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Just received a handful of belated birthday cards, a couple containing money; so should I send them thank you notes/letters? or is that more for presents? This is family I haven't seen in about 5/6 years, and have never sent thank you's before, but now I'm 19 I think it's a bit rude not to acknowledge their kindness.

Thoughts?
    Write thank yous for the OAPs, and call the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you could, it would be a nice gesture. Or just phone them up or text them a and say thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should write, or at least ring. There's nothing I hate more than giving gifts/money to people and not getting a thank you. My niece, who is 15 has not once said thank you for anything Ive ever bought her, despite the fact I spend £20-£30 on her each bday/xmas so I dont bother anymore!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The likelihood of her knowing how to read it is less than her having a mobile
    If you text a house phone it reads it to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    I think you should write, or at least ring. There's nothing I hate more than giving gifts/money to people and not getting a thank you. My niece, who is 15 has not once said thank you for anything Ive ever bought her, despite the fact I spend £20-£30 on her each bday/xmas so I dont bother anymore!
    I agree. I never wrote to them as a child/teen but now I'd just feel incredibly rude, and I intend on apologising for that in the note...

ReputationRep:

Thoughts?
    Manners maketh the man/woman! I think it'd be a nice gesture to write and say thanks, especially if they've sent you some money. It's a bit of a pain to do but it will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibraryHomeCinema)
    Manners maketh the man/woman! I think it'd be a nice gesture to write and say thanks, especially if they've sent you some money. It's a bit of a pain to do but it will be appreciated.
    Think I should write to those who sent a card, but didn't include money? ( not that I'm bothered by no money; I don't blame them.)

ReputationRep:
    you should definatly send thank you letters. even if they are late, make sure you aplogoize for their lateness and send them anyways.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.