Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if there are any mature students on here that are studying/have studied for Geology or Geography based subjects?

I am 27 and am hoping to start studying for a BSc in Geology (F600) in 2013 at the grand old age of 30.
    In the mean time I am putting myself through a GCSE math course (I got a D at school 11 years ago) and then next year I will be doing a two year science based Access To Higher Education course, this is at the recommendation of the University, in order to meet the entry requirements.

When I have finished the GCSE math and the AHE course in 3 years time I will have to leave my well paid full time job to start Uni in the hope that one day I will be able to work in a field (excuse the pun) which i'm interested in.

I'm starting to get over my initial excitement at the thought of studying the earth and gaining the relevant qualifications to get myself a job in the outdoors, and am now starting to feel quite worried.

What's worrying me most is, - "What if I don't get accepted into Birmingham". I can't really go moving my family to another city so I can quit my job and start Uni.

Any input from current / former mature students would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
    Steve.

EDIT: Also, for any current students, mature or not, how did you find the application process and getting accepted? Is Geology a particularly popular course?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.