Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have ****ed up my degree/ life. Watch

I'm a second year uni student at a pretty good place. I've become bogged down by depression and denial. Everyone has been helpful and I've had extentions but I can't seem to get my head around the work. It's too late now to rectify. I can't stand the guilt. I've ruined everything.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    First term of your second year? C'mon man, it's not impossible to fix - I was in the exact same situation last year (and this year actually....:flute: ). Over xmas, take a couple of weeks to relax then get to it, it is possible to fix this, it's hard work though but it's certainly nowhere near too late.

If you really can't fix things, then talk to your tutor, you could take a year out to try and get out of the depression, everything isn't "ruined". :console:

ReputationRep:
    My mate did something very similar. He got kicked out of uni eventually. By doing this he met his now wife to be, has a child with her, owns his own house and is really quite happy these days. A degree is not they only key to a good life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    First term of your second year? C'mon man, it's not impossible to fix - I was in the exact same situation last year (and this year actually....:flute: ). Over xmas, take a couple of weeks to relax then get to it, it is possible to fix this, it's hard work though but it's certainly nowhere near too late.

If you really can't fix things, then talk to your tutor, you could take a year out to try and get out of the depression, everything isn't "ruined". :console:
    Cheers mate. That actually helped.

ReputationRep:
    Academia is overrated and it isn't for everyone, but I bet you could make it through. You got in in the first place so you must be fairly intelligent.

I dropped out of my postgrad and felt so bad about it but after a long time you realise that life goes on and after uni life begins! If you choose to stay or have to leave, things will eventually get better.

ReputationRep:
    Anon fail hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    My mate did something very similar. He got kicked out of uni eventually. By doing this he met his now wife to be, has a child with her, owns his own house and is really quite happy these days. A degree is not they only key to a good life.
    This. Chin up OP, you;re not the only person who has stumbled and found it hard to pick themselves up again.

If it helps these people also usually manage to sort their **** out (like the quoted above).

ReputationRep:
    How bad is it? It's only first semester, you can't have messed up much just yet. Exams aren't until after xmas right?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Extensions are all well and good but are you actually getting any kinda proper pastoral care or medical support from your uni or doctors or anyone?

Second year means there's still plenty of time to get yourself together and get the support you need. Don't suffer in silence and leave it til it's too late to do anything about it though

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.