Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

really really awkward position... Watch

basically, saw a message on my dad's facebook which revealed that he's been having an affair and that the woman he's been seeing is moving closer to us 'to be with him' but he's looking 'to take things slow.' i didnt know what to do so rang my sister who told me it'd been ahppening since march but he told her he'd end it!? :confused:
    and he's still doing it..
    and my sisters had depression over the last few months whilst trying to hide this from my mum...
    yeah she doesn't know..
    I don't know what the hell to do..
    I feel guilty for not telling my mum, I know it's not my problem but I feel guilty for knowing something so serious and keeping it from her, and I feel guilty for making my Dad so upset, because he didn't want me to know?
    Anyone help, please?

KEEP ANON PLEASE.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Confront your dad.

Give him the option of either him telling your mum, or you telling you mum.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Confront your dad?

ReputationRep:
    Tell your dad to man up and admit what he's doing and stop lying to your mother (I'm assuming they're still together). It's not up to you to tell you mum at all and I'd highly advise against it.

ReputationRep:
    this is not your war, master meriadoc.

I'm definitely not going to tell my Mum, but it just angers me that he said to my sister it's all over and yet it's still going on...
    And he knows I know..
    I know it's not m war but I still feel pretty damn ****ed up and betrayed
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tell your mum and risk your parents being separated/divorced, thus causing further distress to your sister, and now also, your mum. Or, keep quiet about it, perhaps have a talk to your dad, man to man, son to father, and tell him you can't allow this to happen for the sake of your family - either he cut ties with that whore and never see her again or you tell everyone (even if you don't intend to, the threat should be enough for him). You're in quite a dilemma here, prove to yourself that you're a man.

If you're still in education, once you're in a stable job which can financially support yourself, your mum and sister, you may wish to tell your family about it and then tell your dad to **** off (if he hasn't changed his cheating ways).
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Even if he knows you know, have you actually talked to him about it?

You need to talk to him, explain how you feel, what a difficult situation he's put you and your sister in, how you can't lie to your mum etc. etc.

If he has any decency he'll sort it out.

I'm a girl to start with, and I couldn't tell my Mother, firstly it'd anger ALL of my family and secondly, my Mum would just have a fit I know how she'd react sadly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Confront your dad.

Give him the option of either him telling your mum, or you telling you mum.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Black mail him.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a soap drama.

(Original post by F i s)
    Sounds like a soap drama.

your opinion is not wanted, if you don't have anything nice to say, then please, just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    your opinion is not wanted, if you don't have anything nice to say, then please, just leave it.
    Look TSR is not a social services website, it's for intellectual discussions .
    If you really want help, talk to childline, samaritans or citizens advice.

(Original post by F i s)
    It's also an advice forum... hence the 'Health and relationships' please get off my thread if you have no advice for my situation. My family aren't a Jeremy Kyle family, we're middle class and both my brother and sister have been to university. Don't make out like you know who we are and our background, as you do not. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    ha ha, yeah right. umm, i say you tell your dad to tell your mum or you'll do it.
    but yeah, try not to get too involved or it could get messy

ReputationRep:
    well you may feel that you may upset your mother but at the end of the day, your dad is not faithful to his beloved wife and you should give him the option of either:

1) you tell your mum
    2) he tells her and make sure you overhear it in case

in a way, your dad is taking advantage of your guilt, he thinks you wont tell your mum and so he will happily continue his affair
    or perhaps get contact of this new lover, and tell her politely to back off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's also an advice forum... hence the 'Health and relationships' please get off my thread if you have no advice for my situation. My family aren't a Jeremy Kyle family, we're middle class and both my brother and sister have been to university. Don't make out like you know who we are and our background, as you do not. Thanks.
    I gave you advice! I didn't make out that I knew who you were clearly you must have some deranged persona disorder. I'm glad you're middle-class so you should be alright then.

just found out apparently my sister googled his 'business email' and he's been using marital affair websites!?

ReputationRep:
    what a sad situation . If I were you I'd call up the woman who your dad's having an affair with and tell her to Pi33 off. Perhaps you should call childline because i don't think I'm old enough to give very good advice. The people there will probably know much more...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.