Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am looking for a database package for my Visual Studio project. The most important things I want to implement are the ability to save images to the database, and the ability to store the contents of a multiline rich text box.
    I don't know too much about database software, but have narrowed the choices to Microsoft's Access or MySql Server. I will be using Visual C# if that has any bearing.
    Could I easily do what I want to do using one of these packages?

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Do you not already have MS SQL Server as you already have VS?

ReputationRep:
    MSSQL is probably the better choice for doing things on windows. Although personally I'm not sure that storing images and long bits of text in a DB is the right thing to do. You might be better to store them on disk and have a reference to the location on disk in the database. You can always store the files with random (generated) names rather than the correct filename.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBoy)
    Hello,

I am looking for a database package for my Visual Studio project. The most important things I want to implement are the ability to save images to the database, and the ability to store the contents of a multiline rich text box.
    I don't know too much about database software, but have narrowed the choices to Microsoft's Access or MySql Server. I will be using Visual C# if that has any bearing.

Thanks for your help
    SQL is more flexible and powerful in my view so I'd stick with that.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your replies; there is a menu entry for SQL Server 2008, but when I click on the Installation Manager sub-menu, it says it can't find the necessary files, but I have downloaded SQL Server 2005 from MSDNAA, so will try that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANARCHY__)
    SQL is more flexible and powerful in my view so I'd stick with that.
    (Original post by WelshBoy)
    Hello,

Thanks for your help
    It depends on the specifics of your situation, really.

If the information to be stored is on a user by user basis then I would be inclined to use an .accdb (MS Access). That is, letter the user save information to their harddisk for future use by them and them alone. Another common 'database' type for this is SQLite.

However, if you are wanting to save information to a database which you can accessed remotely, meaning you can access the same information from all Internet locations, then I would pick MySQL (or another similar database system, eg: SQL Server).

For saving pictures to the database, again it depends on the specifics. If possible save them to a hidden location on the harddrive as files in their own right as mfaxford suggested. However if you need to access them from all locations then you must save them as a BLOB type in a remote database.

Setting up C# with either MS Access or MySQL (the two I have experience in) is very easy. I am afraid I have never set up MS SQL Server before, I am a MySQL man )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    For saving pictures to the database, again it depends on the specifics. If possible save them to a hidden location on the harddrive as files in their own right as mfaxford suggested. However if you need to access them from all locations then you must save them as a BLOB type in a remote database.
    Personally I'd still store images on disk as files and then provide some form of API (maybe just something like a php script) that can make the available to the user. Storing the files in a DB can make the DB bloated which can slow it down. In terms of something like mysql using things like Blob and text fields means there isn't a fixed row length which can impact performance. Especially if you're search cannot use the index so has to work all the way through the table. Similarly it can be better to use char rather than varchar in mysql.

If you are going to store larger bits of data in mysql I think you need to do quite a bit of tweaking for things like max packet size as I think that will affect the largest item you can put in a BLOB field.

something like MSSQL 2008 could be a really good option here with it's Remote Blob Store (RBS) I believe this works by allowing you to manipulate the data through SQL statements but it actually stores the BLOB data on normal storage rather than in the DB.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.