Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP: IB Musical Investigation Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Music SL and this year, I have a new music teacher who doesn't know ANYTHING about IB. Can anyone tell me what we're exactly supposed to do in a musical investigation? My teacher didn't tell me anything...all I know is that we're supposed to compare and contrast at least 2 pieces from different musical cultures or something? Oh, and the song I have in mind is Astor Piazzolla's Libertango. Can anyone recommend me a piece that would be good to compare and contrast w/ Libertango?? Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    You are meant to compare a musical element from two different musical cultures. I compared the dance rhythms in Vivaldi's Allegro and dance rhythms from a Bill Monroe Bluegrass song track. I wrote a little about the background of Baroque and Bluegrass dance roots and then compared the dance rhythms in both. I ended up concluding about how the Vivaldi was more of an Arts Dance form and had been derived from Renaissance dance and the bluegrass was more purely for dancing. The Vivaldi is an Art dance form so is nt actually for dancing but still retains the elements of earlier dance rhythms.
    Then just analyse the instrumentation, texture, rhythm.... e.t.c
    I got a 6 in HL music so I hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.