Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do i need the bottom 2 lights on my car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, hope everyones well.

recently my car got hit-and-runned in the snow and now my bumpers in a bad shape, its still drivable but i really care about my cars looks.

i just found a nice bumper here http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/body-kits...-bumper-2sg.gi

but my question is, the website says its for polos for 05 and up, my polo is an 07 and i have these 2 lights at the bottom of my main lights like here ; http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AET...6815862_1b.jpg

do i need the bottom 2 lights? or can i just buy this bumper and replace it?

thank guys, appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Those lights are your front fog lights and are not compulsory, but useful in fog or falling snow, particularly on high speed roads where you gain on other traffic quite quickly.

The only fog lamp which must be fitted by law is a red rear one.

Of course, there is the question of whether the bumper will fit over the fog lamp housing correctly. You should get advice from a bodywork expert.

ReputationRep:
    As above. By the way, if you are driving around with these on and it is not foggy, it is illegal and can dazzle other drivers, so makes sure the fog light symbol (a D with fishbones to the left) is only on on your dashboard during fog if you repair them.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to love driving about with them on all the time. I tried it once but felt like a pillock. Has anyone here been pulled over for having them on unnecessarily?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    People seem to love driving about with them on all the time. I tried it once but felt like a pillock. Has anyone here been pulled over for having them on unnecessarily?
    I know exactly what you mean. I did it once aswell and felt so guilty I turned them off! This is one of my pet hates and it really annoys me.

Dont know of anyone who has been pulled over for having them on either.

ReputationRep:
    People seem to put em on in the slightest bit of fog, Visability needs to be reduced to less than 100m to warrant putting them on. I would defo say you need your fog lights. The front ones aren't required by law, but driving should be influenced by safety, not just law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikstyo)
    Hello guys, hope everyones well.

recently my car got hit-and-runned in the snow and now my bumpers in a bad shape, its still drivable but i really care about my cars looks.

i just found a nice bumper here http://www.nicedeals.co.uk/body-kits...-bumper-2sg.gi

but my question is, the website says its for polos for 05 and up, my polo is an 07 and i have these 2 lights at the bottom of my main lights like here ; http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/AET...6815862_1b.jpg

do i need the bottom 2 lights? or can i just buy this bumper and replace it?

thank guys, appreciate it!
    If you remove those lights and/or fit a different part with no lights, you have made a modification to your car and your insurer must be notified. Otherwise, in the event of a claim you could be in a very difficult position and find yourself uninsured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    As above. By the way, if you are driving around with these on and it is not foggy, it is illegal and can dazzle other drivers, so makes sure the fog light symbol (a D with fishbones to the left) is only on on your dashboard during fog if you repair them.
    Is it actually illegal?

It's ****ing annoying, I know that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Is it actually illegal?

Yeah it is because it dazzles people when they're on and its not foggy where visability is reduced to less than 100m. It may also indicate that a chav is driving the car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazaroo)
    Yeah it is because it dazzles people when they're on and its not foggy where visability is reduced to less than 100m. It may also indicate that a chav is driving the car
    Any idea what law it breaks specifically?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of companies class them as driving lights and not fog lights, thus you do not break any laws by using them.

I think badly adjusted headlights and people with one headlight out and their full beam on to compensate is more annoying/dangerous/illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)

My mum forgot to turn them off once and was been pulled over by the police and told her foglights were on and that she needed to turn them off (I was in the car, so I know this happened!).

ReputationRep:
    Is it actually illegal?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069859

'MUST' indicates a law.

ReputationRep:
    MOT rules state "if fitted, must work"

Assuming the brackets are the same you can fit these parts. However, don't forget to cap off the wiring loom where the foglights are currently plugged in.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what law it breaks specifically?
    According to my highway code, its rule 236. But may be different in some copies as they keep adding bits in

ReputationRep:
    Fog lights are annoying although it is equally irritating when people just have any lights on in broad daylight for no apparent reason.

I mean what's the point?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you even try driving around with them on for no reason? They look ****ing daft, have no function in most conditions and can be a hazard to others. You don't need to try it yourself to know that.

I do know someone who was pulled over for doing it, the ****ing dunce. Think he just got a bit of a *******ing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)
    Fog lights are annoying although it is equally irritating when people just have any lights on in broad daylight for no apparent reason.

I mean what's the point?
    You will hate it in a couple of years when the new law requiring all new cars to have daytime running lights comes in.

I often drive with sidelights on when on motorways, particularly at this time of the year when lots of crud is on the road and gets kicked up hindering visibility. I recently followed a BMW on the M27 when the road was wet and due to the spray and his grey car you just could not see him. If he had side lights on it would have been much easier.

ReputationRep:
    They would be far more effective if wired into the main beam. You get the benefits of extra light and visibility without hacking off everyone else. I had 4, 100W spot lights hooked up through relays into the main beam of the Land Rover which meant I had brilliant visibility when I wanted them, but they turned off when I dipped my main lights. Win-win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)

I mean what's the point?
    Its easier to be seen?

The human eyes picks up flicking light much faster than a moving object. Hence why motorbikes all have their headlights permanently on now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.