The Student Room Group

Is anyone proud to be british

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
English not British!!
Original post by Kingofhearts92
There seems to be no one on here whos proud to be British,apart from me. People are saying that the U.K is boring and our economy is bad,but ive lived in both Italy and the U.S.A,and they are,in my opinion are worse. No dont get me wrong,i love travelling,i love different cultures,but just because someone a place is sunny,doesnt mean its a good place to live. Im content here and as a hopeful Archaeology student,i couldnt be in a better country!! what are your thoughts?

Why be proud of something you had no control over?
Reply 22
Well you've got to be proud of something.
I couldn't say I'm proud' to be British. Pride, for me, comes from personal things that I have achieved, rather than where I'm from. A problem I have with British Nationalism is that, from my experiences, it seems to have a '**** everyone else' attitude, rather than just 'pride' for their country. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the aspects of Britain that have made me me, but I couldn't claim to be proud.
(edited 13 years ago)
Saying that you shouldn't be proud of your country because you have no control over where you are born is like saying you can't be proud of your parents because you have no control over who you're born to.

Yes, I am proud to be British.
Yes I am.
Reply 26
Proud to be Welsh.
People only call themselves British when they are embarrassed to call themselves English.
Original post by dews1290
People only call themselves British when they are embarrassed to call themselves English.

Lol. :biggrin:

Proud to be English.
I'm extremely proud of being British, I genuinely believe it is one of if not the most prestigious and historically rich nationality on the planet.

I would die fighting for this country any day if it came to it, in fact I even seriously considered joining the RAF at one point.

However, I don't really like the state of the country at the moment, politically, economically, socially...it's quite embarrassing at times I'm afraid.
Reply 29
I don't really believe in being proud of something which you don't choose.

But I do agree that there are many reasons that here is a good place to live (the NHS for example, the freedom we get, etc.). It would take a very big thing to make me move away.

I think you CAN be proud of things Britain has done, but that's not the same as being proud to be British. EG I'm proud that the British government donate money to countries in need.
I am proud of my Jamaican, African, Portugese and Scottish heritage. I don't fly no British flag though because that is one corrupt symbol.
Reply 31
Yes
Reply 32
Original post by Aj12
Plenty of people are proud to be British. But plenty of this people disagree that the UK is a relevant country anymore despite having a large economy, having one of the top 10 militarises in the world and having large amount of influence and a rich history and culture.
We have something like the 17th best healthcare system in the world and some of the best universities in the world.

But hey nothing much to be proud of really right? :rolleyes:

Having one of the most bloated and wasteful defence budgets, and supporting the US in their world-wide oil campaigns, is most definitely not something to be proud of. :mad:
Reply 33
Original post by kpwxx
I'm proud that the British government donate money to countries in need.

You should feel more proud that UK tax payers elect governments that will donate OUR tax money to people in need. It is the people to be proud of, not their governments.
I'm proud to be me. I'm proud for everything I am, including that I'm British.. why shouldn't I be?
Reply 35
Taking the sport angle, I feel immense pride when England cricket team are winning or performing or just withstanding pressure, I also love talking to people from other countries simply because I feel pride for England and my identity and my accent and you feel a sense of competitiveness with other nationalities.
No I'm not "proud" to be British - it's just a man-made definition of which piece of earth I was born on. I am however grateful I was born here and grew up here, and consider it to be one of the best countries in the world.
Reply 37
There seems to be no one on here whos proud to be British,apart from me. People are saying that the U.K is boring and our economy is bad,but ive lived in both Italy and the U.S.A,and they are,in my opinion are worse. No dont get me wrong,i love travelling,i love different cultures,but just because someone a place is sunny,doesnt mean its a good place to live. Im content here and as a hopeful Archaeology student,i couldnt be in a better country!! what are your thoughts?

Deserves a positive rep because its 100% what I was thinking. I am British and proud!
Reply 38

Not only am I proud to be British, but I feel that we are one of the greatest nations in existence. Look at the size of the isles, our population, and compare that to our level of accomplishment. We have conquered most of the world, in spite of our meagre population; we have several of the finest educational institutions in the world; we have produced many of the greatest writers, thinkers, scientists, inventors, chefs, comics etc.

Apart from the ancient Greeks and Romans, few places can claim to have accomplished quite as much.
Reply 39
I'm not proud of anything I haven't acheived. Being British isn't an accomplishment, is genetical roullette. Being dropped out of your mums vagina on a certain island isn't an accomplishment, you're just lucky she didn't do it somewhere worse. Getting good exam results, getting a promotion and winning a gold at the olympics are accomplishments and things you should be proud of.

Proud, no. Happy, yes.

Quick Reply