Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't Find a Job Anywhere! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im begining to lose faith in getting a job. My area is awful for unemployment- recently a sainsburys advertised 30 jobs and 1500 people applied .
    Ive had three interviews but haven't been successful at any of them - although ASDA said I was on a waiting list if something became available - clearly they have no intention of employing me as today yet more jobs were advertised on their website.

Looked on the jobcentre website and there was only a page and half of jobs - the majority I couldn't do due to the hours / not the right qualifications. A few I could do perfectly fine but require a driving license which I don't have.

Ive been looking for almost 2 years now, its just so depressing

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started! I didn't think i was unemployable, but apparently so!

ReputationRep:
    call up ASDA, places will put you on file but then forget, say you noticed the jobs on the website and you still really interested, could you be considered based on your previous application - or something like that

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel :console:. I've been looking on-and-off for over two years and haven't gained employment yet. Though, more recently, in the past few months I've gotten a lot more hardcore with the job seeking than before, seeing a careers advisor who helped me loads. I've improved my CV so much since two years ago, and the careers advisor also gave me a list of loads of employers to apply to, so it helps me not to miss out on opportunities. Also, I've joined Totaljobs, who also send me an email with a list of employers. Plus, I started volunteering at a charity shop top give me retail experience :yep:.

Just last week I've secured an upcoming interview with Sainsbury's (and it's my first ever one ) . And yesterday I've also been invited for interview with Harrods . And I've probably applied to about 50 jobs so far (well, I haven't really been counting though, lol), most of which either reject me straight off or don't reply back at all :/. But at least I've managed to gain two interviews from all that, which is still kinda early days, but at least it's progress :yep:.

So yeah, my advice is just to keep on trying, as you'll probably find something eventually :yep:. Or, you could always decide to start your own business instead

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected by a hotel for a receptionist post. ...oh well...back to dossing around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    i got rejected by a hotel for a receptionist post. ...oh well...back to dossing around.
    well if its any consolation ive been rejected from KFC and McD's...despite saying on thier website 'No experience necessary' I then get an email a few weeks later saying '...we dont think you currently have the right skills etc' jesus what do they want! Obviously not someone with 2 years retail experience, 10 GCSES and 4 Alevels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suzie101)
    well if its any consolation ive been rejected from KFC and McD's...despite saying on thier website 'No experience necessary' I then get an email a few weeks later saying '...we dont think you currently have the right skills etc' jesus what do they want! Obviously not someone with 2 years retail experience, 10 GCSES and 4 Alevels
    i think the problem is that we're over qualified. someone told me that for these sorts of brainless jobs I should exclude my exam results and stuff cos they don't want u to be too smart cos smart people think for themselves.

I've never taken that advice on board though...i want people to take me for who i am, and not something they want me to be.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I had the same problem I applied for 100+ jobs before I came to success the key is to check the website regularly more than once a day as in that time things may come and go.

If you're that desperate you have to spend a lot of time and effort looking for the job

ReputationRep:
    You need to keep pushing yourself! When I was doing my job hunting I was rejected from all kinds of jobs and even jobs such as data entry, admin assistant, customer service assistant, hotel receptionist, and even call centres. But after three months, I finally found myself with an excellent opportunity with a small company!

You will get there eventually but it just takes time!

Good luck!!!

I was even rejected from PC World twice!!! Once because I didn't specify Sunday in the availability section and then when I did specify it for the second time round, I was still rejected lol!!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.