Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to volunteer but I have only one reference Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really want to volunteer but I have only one referee. Everytime I apply for a volunteering position they ask for 2 or 3 references. what do I do. I have never worked before and i have one reference from my personal tutor at university.

ReputationRep:
    You could just try explaining your situation. Tell them why you want to volunteer, what you need it for and the like. Explain that you don't currently have a job nor a previous employer who could do a reference for you. They may take it on board if you discuss it with them. Ask if two references are essential and if they are, find out if there is another way you could get a reference (e.g. from a family member or something).
    Otherwise, you may need to just find a job and take it from there.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. Got a headache

ReputationRep:
    Which organisation is this for?

I work for the British Red Cross and we accept family members giving a reference, something I've heard is the case with other charities too.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Ask for a reference from another lecturer at university? or anyone who knows you from a position of responsibility (theirs) ie sports coach, choir master, orchestra conductor, voice coach or whatever you do in your spare time.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Try explaining your situation. If that doesn't work then ask another lecturer or anyone else you have come across, such as someone from student services.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.