Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The equation is: \frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt (y^2 - 1)

Okay, here's what I did so far... I'm not sure if it's mathematically valid introducing an imaginary term, but it was all I could think of..

\frac{dy}{\sqrt (y^2 - 1)} = dx
    \frac{dy}{\sqrt(-1) \sqrt (1 - y^2)}= dx
    \frac{1}{i} \frac{dy}{\sqrt (1 - y^2)} = dx
    \frac{1}{i} \int \frac{1}{\sqrt (1 - y^2)}dy = \int dx
    \frac{1}{i} arcsiny = x + C
    y = sin(ix + iC)

The answer given by Wolfram is
    y = 1 + 2sinh^2 (0.5(C+x))

... Help anyone? How on earth are you supposed to get that answer?

ReputationRep:
    You introduced the i term to make the integral look like an arcsin. There's a related standard integral ..

Wolfram has given you a big hint - if you know about hyperbolics you're OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    You introduced the i term to make the integral look like an arcsin. There's a related standard integral ..

Wolfram has given you a big hint - if you know about hyperbolics you're OK.
    This a question from my textbook (the answer given in the back of the book is COMPLETELY different by the way), but the hyperbolic functions aren't actually covered in my course... hence why I was pretty shocked by this answer

Would you mind elaborating on your point please? I don't understand, isn't the derivative of sinh(x) just cosh(x)? So the derivative of sinh^2(x) would just be 2sinh(x)cosh(x)... I know pretty much nothing about hyperbolics, sorry :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    This a question from my textbook (the answer given in the back of the book is COMPLETELY different by the way), but the hyperbolic functions aren't actually covered in my course... hence why I was pretty shocked by this answer

Would you mind elaborating on your point please? I don't understand, isn't the derivative of sinh(x) just cosh(x)? So the derivative of sinh^2(x) would just be 2sinh(x)cosh(x)...
    Try substituting y = cosh(t).

You're right about the derivative.

There are lots of interesting similarities between trig functions and the hyperbolic trigs - which is why your original approach was so good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.