Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I plan to go home on Friday the 17th as everyone moving out on the 18th will be crazy and its also the last Saturday before Christmas so Birmingham will be mental on the roads.

I was wondering if it will be possible for my Dad to use the car park that was available for use when the freshers moved into the new build; so who at University do I need to speak to about this?

ReputationRep:
    Which car park was it? I'm thinking it was probably one of the staff car parks in which case you stand very very little chance unfortunately. There is a waiting list for staff to use the uni car parks and they're quite strict with letting visitors use them too.

Also if they let you have a space they'd have to let everyone else use it too and there isn't room.

If you want to try asking it would be security you'd speak to in the main foyer but i'd imagine the answer would be no

ReputationRep:
    He'll be able to park in Aston Street while you bring your stuff down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons)
    He'll be able to park in Aston Street while you bring your stuff down.
    alternativly throw the stuff out the window if you cant carry them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJSKYLINE)
    alternativly throw the stuff out the window if you cant carry them
    Haha that made me laugh. I guess I'll get him to go to Aston street then. But surely the uni cannot expect every single parent to park in Aston Street on the Saturday - it would be chaos.

ReputationRep:
    When I went to college in my youth, everyone went home by themselves. And they only took the bare essentials, none of this "Daddy come get me and my seven bags of luggage" stuff! And we walked to classes barefoot! Uphill both ways! In 200 feet of snow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blatchcorn)
    Haha that made me laugh. I guess I'll get him to go to Aston street then. But surely the uni cannot expect every single parent to park in Aston Street on the Saturday - it would be chaos.
    Given that most staff aren't in on Saturday, it'd be silly for them not to open the car park.
    The car park behind the Aston Day Hospital thing is open every day after 5pm and all the time at weekends.

Really I have to wonder how much you're taking that you think it is necessary to park for a long period of time?!

Some of us don't have the luxury of being picked up and so just have to take a few bags on the train!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentxyz123)
    Given that most staff aren't in on Saturday, it'd be silly for them not to open the car park.
    The car park behind the Aston Day Hospital thing is open every day after 5pm and all the time at weekends.

Really I have to wonder how much you're taking that you think it is necessary to park for a long period of time?!

Some of us don't have the luxury of being picked up and so just have to take a few bags on the train!
    Then again some of us don't have the luxury of being able to get the train home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blatchcorn)
    Then again some of us don't have the luxury of being able to get the train home
    Exactly how far do you live from civillisation then? Most places aren't that far from a train station that you couldn't do that and then get local buses or get picked up from the station? If nothing else there will be a station nearer to home especially going from a place like Birmingham which has a big range of trains out of it...

Or is this a case of you need to sit your dad down and explain that you're a big boy now and picking up from nearer home would be far easier for him???

ReputationRep:
    Last year the car park was open to students on the weekends.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.