Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need help with my biology project labwork Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am doing a project for my final year of university, my project is about looking at the abundance of MRSA in environmental samples. I know the basics of the labwork, I need to plate sea water onto manitol salt agar then, I need to perform gram stains, catalase and coagulase tests then finally a resistance test for methicilin.But I have no idea what concentrations of sea water to use ( if I need to make concentrations of sea water at all ). I dont how to measure the bacteria whether I need to do a colony forming unit or could I use a spectrophotometer. I dont know how many plates to make or whether I need to use another broth for the media, I dont know how to exactally test for methicilin resistance as the lab assistant said to me that we are testing with oxicillin and we dont use rings of inhibition. Finally because I am not sure if I will get any quantitative data I dont know what statistical analysis I need to use, I was thinking maybe a t test but I dont know. If anyone could tell me the best protocol for these experiements I would be so greatfull.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alias me)
    I am doing a project for my final year of university, my project is about looking at the abundance of MRSA in environmental samples. I know the basics of the labwork, I need to plate sea water onto manitol salt agar then, I need to perform gram stains, catalase and coagulase tests then finally a resistance test for methicilin.But I have no idea what concentrations of sea water to use ( if I need to make concentrations of sea water at all ). I dont how to measure the bacteria whether I need to do a colony forming unit or could I use a spectrophotometer. I dont know how many plates to make or whether I need to use another broth for the media, I dont know how to exactally test for methicilin resistance as the lab assistant said to me that we are testing with oxicillin and we dont use rings of inhibition. Finally because I am not sure if I will get any quantitative data I dont know what statistical analysis I need to use, I was thinking maybe a t test but I dont know. If anyone could tell me the best protocol for these experiements I would be so greatfull.
    Thankyou
    Micro is really not my area I'm afraid, but have a look on this site, it's a pretty excelletn resource: http://www.protocol-online.org/

ReputationRep:
    These are all questions that should be directed to your research supervisor.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.