Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting Bigger with a Barbell Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm new around here. I've been "bodybuilding" for a few months now but have realised I'm getting nowhere with my DB bench press (or even my BB bench press) so I'm getting my ass on some compound lifts and trying to increase my strength so I can then increase size.

Eventually I want to look ripped but muscular and have lifts of at least 160/100/190

My routine will be SS but may not be 100% strict to it (throwing in some chins, pull ups and ab work).

Monday-
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    DL 3x5
    Pull ups
    Ab work

Wednesday-
    Squat 3x5
    OH Press 3x5
    Bent Row 3x5
    Chin ups

Friday-
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    DL 3x5
    Ab work
    Dips

Alternate according to week A/B.

Hopefully I will be able to get some gains and I'll be eating cleanly but having lots of it. Any constructive criticism you can give me will be much appreiciated. I've enjoyed looking at some of the blogs already on and hopefully I can get as good.

Current Stats for 1RM
    Squat- (not so sure but I think) 90
    Bench- 80
    Deadlift- 100

ReputationRep:
    Looks good :yy: Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Looks good :yy: Good luck
    Thanks man, I seen your blog on here. Strong guy! Insane bench press when compared with the other lifts! Don't get me wrong, other lifts strong too, just that bench is very good haha!

ReputationRep:
    Been to the gym this morning, first time in 3 weeks.

Benched 60kg 3x5.

Deadlift 80kg 1x5
    100kg1x1

OHP 40kg 1x1
    35kg 3x5

I guess I got to start somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Went in and hit Squats yesterday for a bit but didn't have long at all.

Tomorrow will be doing bench/OH press/deadlifts and then starting properly next Monday. Mad DOMS from the Squats, real ATG stuff to get the full benefit.

EDIT: I know that DOMS is in no way representative of how well a workout has been, I just could hardly walk is all haha.

ReputationRep:
    What's your current weight and height?

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday, again I was just doing a few of the lifts. I did;

OH Military Press 40kg 3x5

Bench Press 65kg 1x5
    60kg 3x5

Squat 65kg 3x5

Next time I'm at the gym, will be doing SS routine. So will be Squat/Bench/Deadlift. Will also be doing the pull ups on that day.

Will get back on the weight thing, it's low at the minute so should be able to see some gains pretty quick.

EDIT: Regarding weight, I knew it was low. I'm 65kg/10stone 3 at around 5ft 7/8. So like I said, will EATMOAR and do this a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Worked on form a lot today, even had this big guy come over and correct my deadlift form/watch my squats. He said I was going nice and low with squats but needed to keep my back at more of a diagonal angle...
    and also on my deadlift, needed to take my ass closer to the floor and bend my knees more. Felt alot better when I did it afterwards.

Bench 62.5kg 3x5

Squat 60kg 3x5

Deadlift 80kg 3x5

ReputationRep:
    A cue that is never, ever knocked into people's heads enough is to push your knees out when you squat. It will cure all manner of problems. Probably not cancer but it makes most people's squat form significantly less ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C-BRO)
    Been to the gym this morning, first time in 3 weeks.

Benched 60kg 3x5.

Deadlift 80kg 1x5
    100kg1x1

OHP 50kg 1x1
    35kg 3x5

I guess I got to start somewhere
    OHP of 50 kilos is really good for a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    A cue that is never, ever knocked into people's heads enough is to push your knees out when you squat. It will cure all manner of problems. Probably not cancer but it makes most people's squat form significantly less ugly.
    Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind for wednesday.

(Original post by The Question)
    OHP of 50 kilos is really good for a beginner.
    Ah man, that's meant to say 40. I'll edit. Thanks for pointing it out.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I found OHP relativley easy at 40kg so will be upping to 42.5 for 3 sets of 5. Deadlifts mainly just worked on form again and nothing to report from bent rows really!

Will be benching tomorrow, aiming for 62.5kg 3x5 and one set of 65kg to see if I can do it. Will be aiming to up the squats too, to either 65 or 62.5 depending on how I do.

ReputationRep:
    Got my ass off of Spiderman HD game on the iPad today and went to the gym... hit some OH mil presses and squats but not much to report apart from ATG on the squats feels so damn good. Will feel better when I can go heavy. Next time I will be at gym will be monday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.