Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

For my AS choices I've taken Chemistry, Biology, History, Business Studies plus Critical Thinking. I really really regret taking business studies, it isn't challenging enough for me at all and universities don't take much notice of it unless you specifically apply to a study Business degree.
    I'm not sure what I want to study at University, however I know it isn't Business.

My college allowed you change your AS choices up until the start of October, but I've only recently realised how much I hate it and how much I want to change it. Now, I'm too late to change.

Instead do you think it is possible for me to study for an extra Physics or Maths AS in my spare time? With the help of a tutor? (For GCSE I got 10 A*s including Physics and Maths).
    For Physics and Maths there are exams in January that obviously I will not be ready for; so could I sit these another time?

Thanks for any help you can give on this

ReputationRep:
    I decided to take f.maths yesterday and drop biology, so it isn't too late. However I was already eally into the AS maths syllabus so it kind of changes things...

I have 6-8 hours of f.maths tuitions every week anyway
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    I decided to take f.maths yesterday and drop biology, so it isn't too late. However I was already eally into the AS maths syllabus so it kind of changes things...

I have 6-8 hours of f.maths tuitions every week anyway
    Should I ask my tutor?
    I doubt I will be able to change now anyway as if I was to swap Business for Physics or Maths they are completely new and both have January exams which I would be no where near prepared for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Should I ask my tutor?
    I doubt I will be able to change now anyway as if I was to swap Business for Physics or Maths they are completely new and both have January exams which I would be no where near prepared for...
    get n AS privately educated and take the exams in june. No time to waste, do it as fast as possible

ReputationRep:
    I think you should be fine with changing though it is a bit late, dont worry about maths/physics , in january its only unit 1 exams which can also be sat i june but that brings more pressure onto most people :P eg doing C1 C2 and M1/S1/D1 in june altogether for weaker students isn't good
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohail.s)
    I think you should be fine with changing though it is a bit late, dont worry about maths/physics , in january its only unit 1 exams which can also be sat i june but that brings more pressure onto most people :P eg doing C1 C2 and M1/S1/D1 in june altogether for weaker students isn't good
    Thanks for the help!
    Yeah I thought about that- it would be just like doing a unit 1 Physics/Maths resit as well as the Unit 2. I've never done a resit before and I know it would be twice the volume of work but if I start learning it now as soon as possible I should be okay with it.
    Have you taken Maths/Physics? Which one is better in your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Thanks for the help!
    Yeah I thought about that- it would be just like doing a unit 1 Physics/Maths resit as well as the Unit 2. I've never done a resit before and I know it would be twice the volume of work but if I start learning it now as soon as possible I should be okay with it.
    Have you taken Maths/Physics? Which one is better in your opinion?
    I'd say definitely maths. but then again thts where i rock in :P lol
    I do maths,further maths, physics bio and chemistry

At the start of the year i was doing badly in physics,once i started M1 in maths everything in physics unit 1 started falling together (I went from U to B to an A)

I also did additional maths in year 11 so i know most of core 1 and core 2 so this year maths is really easy, just dreading c3/c4 next year :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohail.s)
    I'd say definitely maths. but then again thts where i rock in :P lol
    I do maths,further maths, physics bio and chemistry

At the start of the year i was doing badly in physics,once i started M1 in maths everything in physics unit 1 started falling together (I went from U to B to an A)

I also did additional maths in year 11 so i know most of core 1 and core 2 so this year maths is really easy, just dreading c3/c4 next year :P
    Well I probably couldn't cope with doing both, I was thinking of changing to Maths anyway as I was going to it at the start of the year still keeping Business and I really regret not doing that.
    I didn't do additional in year 11 so I'm unsure whether I would be able to cope as well as you have, hmm I will have to see thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.