Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that they can.
    Let me start off by stating that I do not have a problem with either chivalry or equality.

The two are almost contradictory in nature.

As a guy, I accept that men have certain advantages in life: the job market, not going through pregnancy, having to fight for the vote etc and on the whole, I would argue that women have it worse off. I accept that women want a equal and fair society, but if this somehow was to be brought about, how could I then be expected to act chivalrously?

If we lived in a completely egalitarian society why should:
    Men do the asking out/proposals?
    Pay ridiculous child support in a divorce?
    Be expected to pay for dates and meals out?
    Heck, why should I even hold a door open for your ass?

DISCLAIMER: I am not saying that I wouldn't do any of these things, neither am I saying that they shouldn't be done. Only, if we are equal, why should I be expected to do things for you that you aren't expected to do for me?

ReputationRep:
    IMHO: equality does not necessarily mean that you treat men and women exactly the same. It means you treat both genders with the same level of respect and consideration.

Oh and to answer your question..maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    IMHO: equality does not necessarily mean that you treat men and women exactly the same. It means you treat both genders with the same level of respect and consideration.

Oh and to answer your question..maybe.
    But do you see how I feel girls can be unreasonable?

ReputationRep:

- you don't need to :rolleyes:
    -what do you expect? don't go sleeping around and think that you don't need to pay for the child's needs, that's just selfish and being a rubbish dad- UNLESS YOU WANNA KEEP THE KID :deal:
    -no need to pay or hold the door open we're pretty independent, it's not like we stand there waiting for you to open the door

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damidude)
    But do you see how I feel girls can be unreasonable?
    Not really, to be honest..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)

-what do you expect? don't go sleeping around and think that you don't need to pay for the child's needs, that's just selfish and being a rubbish dad- UNLESS YOU WANNA KEEP THE KID :deal:
    -no need to pay or hold the door open we're pretty independent, it's not like we stand there waiting for you to open the door
    meh, its a fair comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Not really, to be honest..
    But I'm right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damidude)
    As a guy, I accept that men have certain advantages in life: the job market, not going through pregnancy
    Erm... what? How do we have an advantage in the job market? What is the relevance of pregnancy to your post?

Anyway. No I don't think they can go hand in hand.

Chivalry is treating people differently and giving special treatment to people based on their gender alone. How is this equality? I don't see women doing any of these things for a man (ie paying for meals, etc, etc), granted there are always exceptions. Positive discrimation, yes. Equality? Most definately not.

ReputationRep:

Right and I suppose it's only the mans decision to have sex is it? Why should the man have to pay disproportionally more, when both parties are equally responsible for the child?

ReputationRep:

Don't mess with amsie! Well said though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Empire08)
    Right and I suppose it's only the mans decision to have sex is it? Why should the man have to pay disproportionally more, when both parties are equally responsible for the child?
    You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.