Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Car insurance risk - check your postcode! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As so many questions on here seem to be regarding car insurance and the cost of it, I found this handy link just now:

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com...tcode_risk.htm

A is safest, F is at greater risk of crime. Refer is 'buy a bus pass'

Of course this is not the final word on postcodes, but it should help people understand what factors are affecting their premiums.

I live in an 'A' risk area

(Mod sticky please?)

ReputationRep:
    I live in a 'G' rated area most likely. So bloody high risk it's off the chart.

I am in 'F*'

ReputationRep:
    B for me =)

ReputationRep:
    Home (HP23): 'B' rated

University (M14): 'Refer'

Can't say I'm surprised by either of those really!

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why Bolton (BL) postcodes are not listed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    I live in a 'G' rated area most likely. So bloody high risk it's off the chart.

I am in 'F*'
    Just wanted to make you feel bad here :P

At home I'm in an A area and where I'm going to be living off campus next year is an A too!

ReputationRep:
    F* but I'm in the richest area in Wales :lolwut:?

Maybe that is why...

ReputationRep:
    E* Things just keep telling me I'm not destined to ever own a car.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this again...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Just wanted to make you feel bad here :P

At home I'm in an A area and where I'm going to be living off campus next year is an A too!
    guessing you don't actually live in Sunderland then cos it seemed like E for me (sr1)! - best i think was sr6 or sr7, but they were still D.

Where i live (PE11) at home i'm in an A risk.

ReputationRep:
    that list is years old and complete rubbish. the lists change year on year based both on crime and claims history for the area.

insurance companies dont release to the public information on how they calculate risk as they consider it commercially sensistive. Unfair I know, it would be nice for them to list at least an abridged version so customers understand why their premiums are what they are as often you can have two seemingly identical people with wildly different premiums for no god damn obvious reason.

more openess by them would lead to better customer satisfaction. sadly however, more openess would give customers more choice and opportunity to get a better qoute and insurance companies will NEVER agree to any thing that reduces their profit margins unless forced to. They are happy to keep us in the dark as it means they can charge what they want under any weak basis and dont have to answer to anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1christopher)
    guessing you don't actually live in Sunderland then cos it seemed like E for me (sr1)! - best i think was sr6 or sr7, but they were still D.

Where i live (PE11) at home i'm in an A risk.
    Nope, was born in Sunderland and my dads side of the family are from there, and most of my mums too, but I live just outside of Bristol (and go to University in Lancaster).

ReputationRep:
    F*

ReputationRep:
    This list seems flawed

ReputationRep:
    London EC1: "refer".

That's a fail.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a B area (GL6), which is fair enough. But I find it strange that they consider GL1 (centre of Gloucester) to be an A area, thus safer to park your car than where I live, which is in the middle of the countryside... although I guess there would be more CCTV in the middle of large towns/cities :dontknow:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    C Every other postcode in the area is A or B.

Refer at uni.

ReputationRep:
    I am in a C area but its not correct, the area around me is the worst in the city and the area that goes up to A are some of the best.

Cars are knicked from the streets it's like a daily routine, don't trust that thing at all.

ReputationRep:
    I LIVE IN A REFER AREA!!!!!!!WTF!!!!!!!

My insurance quotes are from £10000 to £33000!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in an E*

Though the area I live in, I would say is pretty safe

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.