Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    you should explain this theory because no one knows what the hell you're on about, love.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    you should explain this theory because no one knows what the hell you're on about, love.
    this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Ha..._Sally...#Plot

http://www.lhj.com/community/movies/...rry-met-sally/

:date:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *mMmMm*)
    Who believes in it?

I believe in platonic friendship and intimate relationships with opposite sex but as friends.

A lot of my guy mates are just close friends and would never see them as more, had a few mature conversations recently and asked lots of questions when they expected more than friends. Would never expect it to be dates with some guy mates who are mates but I don't love so was confused.

Then I came across this Harry Met Sally theory, when I get time wanna watch the movie.
    I understand at least

I totally agree, in fact I think that it is very common. I have a lot of close female friends. I often find out much later that quite a few of them have fancied me, but often I have not fancied them. That disproves the theory, but then I have a lot of female friends that there is no way that any of us would even consider getting together but are amazing friends and up to all sorts of mischief. So in summary I think that it is most possible to be just friends.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I read a study about this somewhere on the internet recently and they pointed out how popular culture often reflects this idea from When Harry Met Sally, even though in real life it often isn't true, meaning that people start to believe platonic friendships with the opposite sex aren't possible.

Just to point out a slightly different situation, I'm best friends with my ex boyfriend, we get along well and have lots in common. So maybe having already tried something more makes it easier to be friends, as there's no question of whether something will happen between us in the future?

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.