Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Possible Home Gym in room. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Thinking about getting a squat rack and a barbell with some weights. However I was wondering if it would be safe to use them in my bedroom which is on the first floor? I'm just worried about the impact the weights will have on the floor. I don't want to fall through lol

Thanks guys and gals,

GQ.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a squat rack in your bedroom you are my favourite guy of all time

ReputationRep:
    Put the weights on a strong shelf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce_Lee)
    Put the weights on a strong shelf?
    I mean the impact when lifting. Such as when deadlifting and I accidentally drop it, I don't want to be waking up in a pile of rubble lol
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Really, you need to find out information on the structure of the building and namely, directly below the room you wish to place the rack, including information on weight bearing walls etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    I mean the impact when lifting. Such as when deadlifting and I accidentally drop it, I don't want to be waking up in a pile of rubble lol
    If you're training properly (ie; warming up properly, aren't massively overstretching yourself, using chalk, etc) you should have little or no need to drop a fully loaded bar. If it's going to be a regular occurrence you need to find somewhere else to train and/or get some professional coaching.

Provided you don't take the piss lying a layer of plywood and then gym matting over the top should be sufficient to reduce noise and spread the load across a much wider area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    I highly suggest you dont do this unless you can gurantee you wont accidently drop it , u most probably be waking up in a pile of rubble xD.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I guess the ground floor is the way forward

ReputationRep:
    Why even risk that, mate go underground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Why even risk that, mate go underground.
    haha

Well the reason for a home gym is because I'm a chef and don't finish work till late so its either a home gym or 24hour gym.

Am struggling to find a some gyms in London that are 24 hour and focus on barbell training. I know there is "the gym group" but apart from that I'm lost. Anyone know of any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    Ok. I guess the ground floor is the way forward
    It isn't a problem as long as you don't **** about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GQ.)
    haha

Well the reason for a home gym is because I'm a chef and don't finish work till late so its either a home gym or 24hour gym.

Am struggling to find a some gyms in London that are 24 hour and focus on barbell training. I know there is "the gym group" but apart from that I'm lost. Anyone know of any?
    The Gym group is where I go, its not hardcore or anything, in fact its a super commercial gym but I get by. Worth the price.

ReputationRep:
    I just ordered this - so I'm giving advice on other people's reviews - but a chin-up bar that you can mount in a doorway would be an easy way to do some strength training without much equipment. The one I ordered is the 'Iron Gym X-treme' (I know, totally embarassing name, but hey) - which got good reviews.

I picked it because it has a bunch of different handles, and I've found chin-ups/pull-ups to be really good exercise, plus a good way to do ab work (hanging from the bar and pulling up your legs, etc).

Like I said - I haven't started using it yet, but it sounds like you're after pretty much the same thing I am (a good variety of exercises without a ton of machinery).

You might also consider one of the 'weight-bars' that a lot of yoga places/health clubs have - it's not a set of free weights or anything, basically just a long, padded bar that weighs 10-25 lbs. Doesn't take up too much space, but can be used for a lot of very basic weight exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonyLeaber)
    You might also consider one of the 'weight-bars' that a lot of yoga places/health clubs have - it's not a set of free weights or anything, basically just a long, padded bar that weighs 10-25 lbs. Doesn't take up too much space, but can be used for a lot of very basic weight exercises.
    He will rapidly outgrow it (if he hasn't already) and they are extremely expensive for what they are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.