Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a difference between a Wise Man and a Smart Man? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think there is a difference between a Wise Man and a Smart Man?

I'm usually sure about myself when I form an opinion but for some reason I always leave an open mind, room for change, growth, new learnings, I never denie what is true just because I don't like it.

Though I have noticed amongst some academics, this is not always the case, what mainstream says might as well be the workd of God to some people without even checking it out for themselves, doesn't even matter if we know criminality exists within our ranks.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    wise man did not necessarily start out very intelligent but had the crap kicked out of him enough times due to enough mistakes that he began to put 2 and 2 together. the smart man can avoid mistakes by reasoning things through at the time but misses out on some life experience and can be a bit naive on subjects he hasn't encountered before. the former has a crappy life and can only live to tell the tale to others, the latter is arrogant and most dislike him. ):

ReputationRep:
    Smart - Staight A's, Christian, conventional, generally accepts things without questioning them and puts those things into practise, says no to drugs.

Wise - grades have no reflection, most likely an atheist, formulates own opinion, questions social norms, open to experimenting with drugs especially psychedelics, realises that life is not this massive quest that is is made out to be, uses human psychology to their advantage

And everyone in between. Then on a whole other scale there are lower class, chavs, illiterates, jeremy kyle material.

ReputationRep:
    I would say I'm more of a wise guy than a smart guy.
    I think there is a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Smart - Staight A's, Christian, conventional, generally accepts things without questioning them and puts those things into practise, says no to drugs.

Wise - grades have no reflection, most likely an atheist, formulates own opinion, questions social norms, open to experimenting with drugs especially psychedelics, realises that life is not this massive quest that is is made out to be, uses human psychology to their advantage

And everyone in between. Then on a whole other scale there are lower class, chavs, illiterates, jeremy kyle material.
    Wise =/= hippy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Wise =/= hippy.
    But hippies = wise

ReputationRep:
    But hippies = wise
    I disagree, I would in fact label them as foolish

ReputationRep:
    I think you become smart by studying books and the work of scholars, but you become wise by studying life and people. You can be completely uneducated in a literate sense yet be intelligent, perceptive and wise .

ReputationRep:
    Wise men are old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    I disagree, I would in fact label them as foolish
    I played a game called Broken Sword II when I was like 10, it had one part where you had to visit an old wise shaman somewhere in South America I presume (can't actually remember the location), and to get past the guards of his village, you had to put some ancient stone in a dog biscuit box and have them give that to him, because he liked the taste of dog biscuits. Then when you get to meet him, he's there smoking some **** and tells a wicked awesome story about some shiz which is relevant to the story line. If that guy isn't wise, then I dunno what the **** is.

ReputationRep:
    I played a game called Broken Sword II when I was like 10, it had one part where you had to visit an old wise shaman somewhere in South America I presume (can't actually remember the location), and to get past the guards of his village, you had to put some ancient stone in a dog biscuit box and have them give that to him, because he liked the taste of dog biscuits. Then when you get to meet him, he's there smoking some **** and tells a wicked awesome story about some shiz which is relevant to the story line. If that guy isn't wise, then I dunno what the **** is.
    That guy isn't wise because he's not real

ReputationRep:
    Wise- lots of worldly knowledge, the person you would go to for help, most likely over 40
    Smart- well educated, well spoken, high intelligence
    You dont have to be smart to be wise and you dont have to be wise to be smart

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who claims to be wise at this stage of their life is a muppet. You can't be old and wise until you've been young and stupid.

ReputationRep:
    A smart man knows a tomato is a fruit not a vegetable.

A wise man knows that even if it is, it doesn't go in a fruit salad.

ReputationRep:
    A smart man isn't always wise and vice versa. So, if you've found a man who is smart and wise, then lucky you

ReputationRep:

I disagree with your interpretation of "Smart", purely because a smart man is likely to be of a scientific mind as opposed to religious :teehee:
    That is, supposing we're talking smart in the academic sense.

My interpretation:
    Wise man has life experience
    Smart man has wealth of education.

ReputationRep:
    Only your definition in them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.