Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm still trying to get my head round what this actually is (leaning it in class atm - for the USA) but so far I feel it's not really that good, especially politically. Discuss.?

ReputationRep:
    I think its supposed to promote equality and create more opportunites because people are usually discriminated against because of their gender, race etc. e.g. if a guy and girl apply for a job they will choose the girl because she is usually discriminated against because of her gender

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, so it's a generic term?
    I thought it was just for racial discrimination and mainly for African Americans in the USA.. lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's positive discrimination.

(Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
      It's positive discrimination.
      Precisely.

It does sound like a military term.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, I know, but like in detail, what is it? Like precise laws, etc. It's quite a big topic, it's taken like 2 weeks to cover so far so I already get that it's positive discrimination x

ReputationRep:
      Positive discrimination is a set of laws/principles that seeks to increase participation of traditionally excluded/discriminated against groups in society. Essentially, preferences for jobs and other positions are given for people of such classes/groups.

It is IMO counter-productive since it can create resentment. IMO, this is unethical.

(Original post by Summergirl.x)
        Yeah, I know, but like in detail, what is it? Like precise laws, etc. It's quite a big topic, it's taken like 2 weeks to cover so far so I already get that it's positive discrimination x
        Example of the problem:

There have been several studies in the US and UK (and probably elsewhere) in which researchers apply for jobs using fake identities. The idea is that they submit several applications for jobs, careful to offer comparable skills and qualifications but changing the names to suggest different ethnic origins. repeating this experiment several times and building up a body of results data reveals patterns of discrimination in which those with a name suggesting the applicant is non-white, for example, are much less likely to be offered a job interview.

Discrimination of this kind appears widespread and is difficult to counter, other than by ensuring those groups who suffer blanket discrimination are given some counter-discriminatory opportunities.

Obviously the practice has potential to be counter-productive and it makes sense that it be used in a targeted way, but where the absence of affirmative action simply means ongoing discrimination it has a strong argument in its favour.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Summergirl.x)
        Ohhh, so it's a generic term?
        I thought it was just for racial discrimination and mainly for African Americans in the USA.. lol.
        In the US there was at one point (1920's) a form of affirmative action at Ivy Leagues by imposing quotas on Jewish students who were overrepresented.

Now, a similar thing occurs in the US with Asian students having to score higher to be admitted relative to other students. The handicapping system works like this:

Translating the advantages into SAT scores, study author Thomas Espenshade, a Princeton sociologist, calculated that African-Americans who achieved 1150 scores on the two original SAT tests had the same chances of getting accepted to top private colleges in 1997 as whites who scored 1460s and Asians who scored perfect 1600s.

Espenshade found that when comparing applicants with similar grades, scores, athletic qualifications, and family history for seven elite private colleges and universities:

Whites were three times as likely to get fat envelopes as Asians. Hispanics were twice as likely to win admission as whites. African-Americans were at least five times as likely to be accepted as whites.
        http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2009/10...n-numbers.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.