Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've owned my itouch for nearly 3 years now, I believe the warranty has expired... The past months, I haven't been able to use it... The problem was, it didn't allow me to slide the slider across to unlock the itouch, so i cannot access the home page... This was obviously an internal malfunction... Instead of visiting my local Apple Shop, situated in Liverpool, I thought I'd try my hand at some D.I.Y... So I browsed youtube and found the thing i was looking for. Unfortunately, when attempting to access the digitizer with a pizza cutter (the only think i thought was suitable for removing the cover from the case), I managed to crack the glass cover, and pierce the digitizer... Resulting in the digitizer displaying a screen half affected by my foolishness (all fuzzy etc.)

I thought I'd gently remove the glass cover, and try to remove the digitizer to see if any change occurs... Unfortunately, on partially removing the digitizer, it no longer displays any image at all... So I have put the glass cover back on...

My question is... Will I be able to blag the reason for the state that my iPod is in and they will issue me with a new one? Or at least offer to repair it? If so, how much do you reckon it will cost? Because the conditions here have been dangerous, the black ice etc, I could say I had my iPod in my pocket and slipped, cracking the iPod in the process...

Your responses are greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You have got zero chance of them repairing it, before you send it off the apple genius bar has to inspect it and they will straight away be able to tell that you have been at it with a pizza cutter. Time for a new Itouch I think pal, the 4g is brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    If Apple are repairing it, the fee would most likely bankrupt a small country, and it's way outside of the warranty assuming that you didn't get some form of extended cover. I'd take it elsewhere.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Just buy a new one. They are getting cheaper by the year. I have a 2G-but-Apple-marketed-it-as-3G 8GB iPod Touch which I got for £160. Fast forward nine months, Apple have brought out a new one with a front and back camera, and FaceTime - the 8GB is about £189. £29 difference and you get all the modcons! I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. I am not buying the iPhone 4 only for the 5G to come out two weeks later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    They won't give you a new one lol...

I doubt they'd even consider repairing it consider it's a 1/2G, especially since it will probs be obvious that it's was caused my something more direct than a fall.
    Thanks for the reply... AAWWWW man... I thought that if I made up a story which made me look like a complete idiot, maybe they would sympathise with me and give me one haha... I guess the moral behind the story is "Never try your hand at D.I.Y, get a professional" lol...

Its even worse though, because my mum and dad asked me to give them suggestions for Christmas, So i suggested the new nano, and my dad last week, knowing that my iPod was already broke, suggested that I go to the Apple shop to get it repaired (which hints that I'm not getting an iPod for christmas) ... But me, being at college and not having a job, decided that I should fix it myself for free... Which clearly didn't happen...

I'm going to have to try the "slipping on the ice, onto my iPod, smashing it up" story with my dad, see if he falls for it... But then he'll wonder "why are you taking a broken iPod to college when you know full well it doesn't work?" I can't win :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Just buy a new one. They are getting cheaper by the year. I have a 2G-but-Apple-marketed-it-as-3G 8GB iPod Touch which I got for £160. Fast forward nine months, Apple have brought out a new one with a front and back camera, and FaceTime - the 8GB is about £189. £29 difference and you get all the modcons! I'm waiting for the iPhone 5. I am not buying the iPhone 4 only for the 5G to come out two weeks later!
    The iPhone 4 is a bit **** anyway. Personally, I'll stick with Android or wait for Windows 7 Phone to become more widespread when it's time to upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQuickestSilver)
    You have got zero chance of them repairing it, before you send it off the apple genius bar has to inspect it and they will straight away be able to tell that you have been at it with a pizza cutter. Time for a new Itouch I think pal, the 4g is brilliant!
    Cheers... Now that you have typed that back to me, I realise, "what was I thinking, trying to open it with a pizza cutter?" lmao... I really wanted the new nano, but me and technology don't seem to work well with one another...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raz_Webster_MUFC)
    Cheers... Now that you have typed that back to me, I realise, "what was I thinking, trying to open it with a pizza cutter?" lmao... I really wanted the new nano, but me and technology don't seem to work well with one another...
    I wouldn't get the new nano bro they look a bit sucky, get the new Ipod touch its kicks ass.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    The iPhone 4 is a bit **** anyway. Personally, I'll stick with Android or wait for Windows 7 Phone to become more widespread when it's time to upgrade.
    Playing Angry Birds on an Android is not the same as playing it on Apple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Playing Angry Birds on an Android is not the same as playing it on Apple.
    True dat. But the Angry Birds experience being different on Android isn't a deal breaker for me. I have an iPod touch for that.

ReputationRep:
    Get a new screen+digitiser off ebay? Or have OI misunderstood how youve broken it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.