Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Why do I get the feeling this isn't the first stupid thread you've made?

ReputationRep:
    *******s. That article is utter rubbish. The average banker does not receive millions of pounds in bonuses. They probably deserve a higher salary for working like a DOG, averaging around 70 hours a week id guess. I hate when people generalise 'bankers' as all being paid ridiculous amounts of money and all being responsible for the credit crunch.

How about GPs who get paid in excess of £100k and work 9-5 with a 3 hour lunch break?

ReputationRep:
    yawns, politicians suck for being idiots and greedy, most of the public sucks for being greedy and spend like crazy, some bankers also suck of course and deserved to get fired, regulators also suck but hey thats how the world goes. Nothing changed and nothing will, get use to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graffic)
    Gordon Brown gets it right. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/be...e-bankers-pay/
    the fact that you study at SOAS, the most left wing institution in the country, destroys any legitimacy you have when commenting on bankers pay packages; a topic which i am guessing you know absolutely nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown got nothing right. Period.

ReputationRep:
    US taxpayers made a 9 bln dollar profit on Citi's bailout.

I think taxpayers need to shut the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown gets it right. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/be...e-bankers-pay/
    nah society owes bankers big time i want lots of bonus money for my ferrari YAH!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

ReputationRep:
    Without investment banks, we wouldn't have funding for arts, culture and theatre, small start-ups wouldn't get capital, an€d many scientists would lose research grants.

Just something to remember...

ReputationRep:
    The same Gordon Brown who is part of the Labour Party? The party that overspent wildly while in cabinet? Oh, I remember that guy.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people have no idea what investment banking actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    Without investment banks, we wouldn't have funding for arts, culture and theatre, small start-ups wouldn't get capital, an€d many scientists would lose research grants.

Just something to remember...
    Precisely. Investment bankers fuel our economy! How do people think that capitalism works? Some of these myopic opinions are just beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    Gordon Brown got nothing right. Period.
    He wasn't bad as Chancellor, to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derivstrader)

i hope you don't believe this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derivstrader)

Lovely; very happy for them. I'm not American.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lets demonise the institutions that pay the taxes that pay for your tuition (for now)

Ah well. We will make a profit on the bank shares in the UK, but the fallout from the banking crisis, we will not make a profit from.

The banking crisis is so many people's fault, as well as the banks I don't know where to begin. So I won't but nothing annoys me more than people that scream about the terrible bankers constantly. Most are dim people who only know what their mummy and daddy have told them about "evil" capitalism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    He wasn't bad as Chancellor, to be fair.
    ahaahahahahahahaha

That is a joke right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    ahaahahahahahahaha

That is a joke right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loafer)
    oh, have you not heard?

The 'workers' are the lifeblood of our economy, all people earning over £35kpa are part of the parasitical ruling class whose only desire is to keep the 'workers' subservient to them and their every whim, whilst quaffing champagne in an ivory tower. This is why the evil tories are 'targeting' the 'most vunerable' through their 'ideologically driven' 'destruction' and 'obliteration' of the welfare state...

-----------------------------------------

Back in reality, IIRC:

Financial services contribute ~20% of all corporation tax collected int he UK
    The highest earning 1% of society pay over 25% of all income tax collected
    the highest earning 10% of society pay over 50% of all income tax collected
    The lowest earning 50% of society's contribution to the tax pot is 10% of the total.
    The lowest earning 70% of society are a net financial loss to the government - having more spent on that than they contribute.

But who cares about facts when we can 'show solidarity with good honest working men'......
    When you have credible evidence of "evil" Tories, then please consult me. Until then, go and play some Dungeons and Dragons or what ever you politically ignorant people enjoy doing.

Edit: Neg rep is cute.

ReputationRep:
    Psst. He's one of us. He's being sarcastic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.