The Student Room Group

BA Graphic Design: Which course?

Hi all, i'm applying for a BA in Graphic Design and need help with my five choices.

I'm looking into courses which are more 'commercial' or just not overly idea-based.

For example, i've been to Kingston's open day and although the course is very industry-connected and really good for Graphics, they did express that they were very conceptual thinking and idea based- which isn't really for me.

So far i've been looking into:

LCC
UCA Epsom
Bath Spa
Bournemouth Arts? :s-smilie:
Southampton Solent?
Reading

So any suggestions on courses will be very helpful! Cheers :biggrin:
What about Chelsea? I've heard Ravensbourne is good for industry links too =)
Chelsea, Falmouth, Brighton and Nottingham trent.
i'm thinking of applying to either Brighton or Nottingham as my last choice.
Reply 3
my design teacher said the unis with the best design courses re (in her opinon), Goldsmiths, Loughbourgh, Kingston, Brunel and another one which I cant remember right now...

Dont know if these will have the type of courses you are looking for, but i think its worth trying :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the suggestions!
I have looked into most of those Unis and the majority seem very competitive; but i'll research more into what the courses entails.
Reply 5
I'm also applying for Graphic Design, but want the opposite!
I want a course with a little more freedom and that's more idea based. Not totally, but I want a nice mix.

Not sure whether you've looked at it, but to me the Manchester Met course seemed quite commercial design based, it looked as though they were big on digital stuff.
For that reason i'm not applying for it, but instead i'm applying for Interactive Arts there, which seems like a quite similar course but more art based.

All my other choices are for Graphic Design and they are currently:
Nottingham Trent
UWIC
UWE Bristol
Leeds Met

UWE might be worth checking out? Although i'm not totally sure whether their main focus is on commercial design or idea based stuff. So it could be good for you or completely wrong.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm also applying for Graphic Design, but want the opposite!
I want a course with a little more freedom and that's more idea based. Not totally, but I want a nice mix.

Not sure whether you've looked at it, but to me the Manchester Met course seemed quite commercial design based, it looked as though they were big on digital stuff.
For that reason i'm not applying for it, but instead i'm applying for Interactive Arts there, which seems like a quite similar course but more art based.

All my other choices are for Graphic Design and they are currently:
Nottingham Trent
UWIC
UWE Bristol
Leeds Met

UWE might be worth checking out? Although i'm not totally sure whether their main focus is on commercial design or idea based stuff. So it could be good for you or completely wrong.

Hey, this is a bit random and I might have already asked you this already xD but have you sent your eportfolio to Nottingham Trent yet? I've also applied there and I had such a stressful time putting mine together! xD
Reply 7
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
Hey, this is a bit random and I might have already asked you this already xD but have you sent your eportfolio to Nottingham Trent yet? I've also applied there and I had such a stressful time putting mine together! xD

No I haven't put one together as I haven't received my offers yet.
Are you from the UK? Because I was expecting to have to go to an interview rather than put an online portfolio together, I thought only international students did it, for NTU anyway.
I will be putting one together though because I think Man Met want one, and my college has advised me to

I imagine it is hard :confused:
What is it you're having trouble with?
Original post by Cll_ws
No I haven't put one together as I haven't received my offers yet.
Are you from the UK? Because I was expecting to have to go to an interview rather than put an online portfolio together, I thought only international students did it, for NTU anyway.
I will be putting one together though because I think Man Met want one, and my college has advised me to

I imagine it is hard :confused:
What is it you're having trouble with?

Yeah i'm from the UK =) everyone has to put together a powerpoint portfolio and send it to them before we even get an interview! They give you 2 weeks to do it though from the day you get the email.
I sent mine yesterday but I put everything together and checked the file size and the file was 9 times bigger than the size NTU were asking for xD so i had to go between computers and change the resolution of every image before redoing the powerpoint, the layout, the image sizes...Then afterwards the work refused to upload onto the site and i had to call them and email my work -.- So it was quite frustrating at the time =p
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kai Hiwatari
Yeah i'm from the UK =) everyone has to put together a powerpoint portfolio and send it to them before we even get an interview! They give you 2 weeks to do it though from the day you get the email.
I sent mine yesterday but I put everything together and checked the file size and the file was 9 times bigger than the size NTU were asking for xD so i had to go between computers and change the resolution of every image before redoing the powerpoint, the layout, the image sizes...Then afterwards the work refused to upload onto the site and i had to call them and email my work -.- So it was quite frustrating at the time =p

Ahh, that does sound like a lot of hassle.
I haven't had that email yet, so I guess i've got that to come :eek:

So I presume that they're deciding on whether or not to give you an interview from this portfolio? and if they invite you you then show them your whole portfolio?

I was hoping i'd have a little more time before having to show them anything, just to get a bit more done on my foundation course :s-smilie:
Ahwell, thanks for the heads up!
Original post by Cll_ws
Ahh, that does sound like a lot of hassle.
I haven't had that email yet, so I guess i've got that to come :eek:

So I presume that they're deciding on whether or not to give you an interview from this portfolio? and if they invite you you then show them your whole portfolio?

I was hoping i'd have a little more time before having to show them anything, just to get a bit more done on my foundation course :s-smilie:
Ahwell, thanks for the heads up!

I got an email about 3 weeks maybe after my ucas got sent =)
Yeah they're using the eportfolios to shortlist people for interview and then i've no idea if they want a whole portfolio for interview! I def have to start getting work printed and mounted xD and actually produce a lot more work!
Lol thats ok =) ALSO on the slideshow they ask for 12 pieces of work and you have to write a summary of your portfolio

Quick Reply

Latest