Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how do i answer this contract law question? Watch

ReputationRep:
    fawvf

Advise John as to his contractual rights and obligations in relation to Tina and Arthur.

ReputationRep:
    Dont know, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Do you want a short outline or an in depth answer. Ill give you the outline.
    John has no legal grievance with Tina. Tina, when stating the date she could come was making an offer, John must then accept that offer in order for there to be an agreement in place, let alone a legally binding contract.
    With regards to Arthur it is a bit more hazy.
    Arthur made an offer to do the work which was accepted, but the work had not taken place, and there had not been any consideration so legal relations had not been entered and therefore no binding contract. The point where he then increases the price is a new offer, rendering the previous offer invalid. John then accepted that deal. Which I would argue is the new Agreement in place.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you thats all i needed

ReputationRep:
    I'm also doing this question for coursework and I'm having trouble finding the legal authority (in case law/statutes) to prove the offer/acceptance/consideration elements to the question. Could anybody help??

Searching through Lexis and the textbook is proving fruitless :-(

ReputationRep:
    I will fish them out tomorrow for you if you can wait till then. I would however recommend Law for Business Students by Alix Adams. Case law is everywhere like flies on sh*t in the book its brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.
    doing some more work on it now with a friend but we're unsure if there was a definite contract with Arthur after his offer of £1000, although him going to John's house to inspect implies that he accepted the offer, plus the fact that he needed the work done 'immediately'

any undue influence on either party after inspection of the damage?

We're supposed to find a remedy for John, the client and we can't see what he could potentially sue for as it seems his agreement to pay £1200 was just him making a bad bargain and as of yet there's been no breach of contract and any breach of contract with regards to Arthur's initial offer of £1000 was only because he underestimated the damage of John's water tank, hardly unlawful

Thanks in advance (y)

ReputationRep:
    I have almost finished. But I need more cases lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.