The Student Room Group

A level help please!

Hiya,
Im in year 11,
and ive just applied for a place in my sixth form with these chosen subjects:
a level law, a level business studies, a level history and a level english/literature
good combination if im interested in working in a business organisation?

im also a bit worried cause in my sixth form,
like the results for a levels arnt that good,
possible reasons for this?
(its a good school, not a grammar but its not like horrible)
im prepared to work REALLY HARD!
will i be okay :\
Original post by Chriss95
Hiya,
Im in year 11,
and ive just applied for a place in my sixth form with these chosen subjects:
a level law, a level business studies, a level history and a level english/literature
good combination if im interested in working in a business organisation?

im also a bit worried cause in my sixth form,
like the results for a levels arnt that good,
possible reasons for this?
(its a good school, not a grammar but its not like horrible)
im prepared to work REALLY HARD!
will i be okay :\

Yeah those subjects sound fine. The only thing i would suggest is maybe taking economics or maths.
As long as you work hard then you should get decent results, regardles of the average results for your school.
I do English Language, Law and History and have an a-level in literature... They are really interesting subjects... especially english language because you can orientate your coursework to whatever topic you like... so you could do something business related.
Also the style of writing and research required for history is good for most degrees because it shows a uni that you have ideal writing skills... moreover, a classical subject like history is always well looked upon.

Law is good but I imagine a business dgree would prefer to teach you the laws of business from scratch...

I have friends doing business degrees and they had a wide range of subjects, some not business related but still got into good uni's... it's what you do with your subjects that matter...

Plus it doesn't matter if your school isn't top class... there is so only so much your teachers can do for you :smile: alot is up to you... which I'm sure you'll be fine.
Anyway... just think... you'll be the one making your school look good when you go to uni :smile:
Hope that helped...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cheekycustardcream
I do English Language, Law and History and have an a-level in literature... They are really interesting subjects... especially english language because you can orientate your coursework to whatever topic you like... so you could do something business related.
Also the style of writing and research required for history is good for most degrees because it shows a uni that you have ideal writing skills... moreover, a classical subject like history is always well looked upon.

Law is good but I imagine a business dgree would prefer to teach you the laws of business from scratch...

I have friends doing business degrees and they had a wide range of subjects, some not business related but still got into good uni's... it's what you do with your subjects that matter...

Plus it doesn't matter if your school isn't top class... there is so only so much your teachers can do for you :smile: alot is up to you... which I'm sure you'll be fine.
Anyway... just think... you'll be the one making your school look good when you go to uni :smile:
Hope that helped...

thanks, helped me a lot!
yeah i didnt pick history GCSE which i regretted
but for my luck as long as I get my english GCSE, there letting me do A level history.
Ive heard its quite hard but im gonna try my very best! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Yeah those subjects sound fine. The only thing i would suggest is maybe taking economics or maths.
As long as you work hard then you should get decent results, regardles of the average results for your school.

Thanks for that emma!
Ive heard you have to put a lot of own work into it, very independent.
They dont do economics unfortunately in my school
i considered doing maths
but i got put off, the teachers basically said it is so hard
and i was quite scared that if i picked it, i would fail
what do you think of this
so far i have done 3 modules and got a,b,b
and then i have an exam at the end of the year and they all combine to give me a overall result for maths
if i put the hard work in, could i do it?
Don't worry... I didn't take history GCSE either and in some ways it's better cos you feel alot fresher as opposed to doing it for 2 years and then another 2...
I love it!!! Really interesting subject... :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by cheekycustardcream
Don't worry... I didn't take history GCSE either and in some ways it's better cos you feel alot fresher as opposed to doing it for 2 years and then another 2...
I love it!!! Really interesting subject... :smile:

woo :smile:
thats good.

Quick Reply

Latest