Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently working for a private wealth management company in administration..nothing too fancy but it's experience and I'm learning a lot! Anyway,what i really want to do is inter dealer broking, I'm currently on hold after an AC at icap for their internship.

The company I work for only has around 10 staff, so its quite small. The other week, the director overheard me talking to a colleague about inter dealer broking and why I wanted to be one. He then said if i sent him an email to remind him, he'd "put me where he could". He then told me one of his clients was an important broker in EMs at Tullet Prebon. Anyway, i sent him an email that day and he replied saying to ask him another time as he was quite busy, but said he would help me out.

So I thought I would ask him closer to Xmas when things have cooled down a little, as we've been very busy with new business recently. Anyway, today I was chasing some stuff for a client and saw she was an inter dealer broker at Tradition, which reminded me I needed to mail the director. Thing is, i don't know how to phrase the email to get the best outcome, or what would be reasonable to suggest? I really want an internship/work experience at one of these broking firms, but would that be too much to ask? Has anyone here ever gotten work experience or a job through somebody elses connections?

Cheers on any tips!

ReputationRep:
    I have. Just say politely here's my CV, if you have any space for some unpaid work experience to boost my CV I would be delighted. When I went about getting experience in a similar manner, I also stressed that as long as I learn something whilst I'm there I have no issues with essentially running errands. That way you learn something (maybe not as much as a structured internship) and bulk up your CV.

People seem to think the only way to get experience at BB's or big firms like icap/tullett (where they have fixed internship schemes) are through the online process...for the most part this is true, however if you ask the right person they can get you a week or two on their desk without the whole application process (speaking form experience here).

If you dont have the perfect academic record this is a method you'll have to use in my opinion.

I guess a few people here will disagree with what every I've said, so know I'm just giving you my opinion through my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't pester him more, at least for the moment. If you are so busy then he will be busy, and goodwill he has for you will decrease the more you email him 'reminding' him. I'm sure he knows, but he may still be looking into it or having to deal with someone else whom he is waiting for. Wait until at least new year to ask him again.

For other places what ^^ this guy said. Subject something like 'internship opportunity' or to that effect.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to meet him for a quick coffee that's the easiest way to get things done, he should set a time. He's probably not gonna wanna read your long ass emails but I bet he won't mind leaving the office for 20 minutes for a chat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don_Lad)
    I wouldn't pester him more, at least for the moment. If you are so busy then he will be busy, and goodwill he has for you will decrease the more you email him 'reminding' him. I'm sure he knows, but he may still be looking into it or having to deal with someone else whom he is waiting for. Wait until at least new year to ask him again.

For other places what ^^ this guy said. Subject something like 'internship opportunity' or to that effect.
    This is terrible advice, he will have forgotten he told you he could help you out and chasing him up just show you are serious about it and will remind him to get his ass in gear!

Definitely just drop an email saying quickly, hey just seeing if you might have a bit more time now whether you could put me in touch with someone at an brokers who I could ask a few questions, etc. Regards.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys! I originally asked him back in October, so I would have thought mid-Dec was leaving it long enough. Just gonna ask if he can introduce me, get me some work exp etc, then take it from there!

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah that's plenty long enough to wait, definitely get back to him right away, try and get him to set something up before everyone starts going off for xmas and starts saying 'wait until new year' etc.

ReputationRep:
    The Starbucks Dark Cherry Christmas Mocha is a very tasty addition to the menu. If i were you, id see if my boss would like to sample one from the in-house Starbs or the one across the street.

(Original post by JakeF)
      The Starbucks Dark Cherry Christmas Mocha is a very tasty addition to the menu. If i were you, id see if my boss would like to sample one from the in-house Starbs or the one across the street.
      And if I'm your boss, you'll have to do a lot better than that to really impress me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by President_Ben)
      And if I'm your boss, you'll have to do a lot better than that to really impress me.
      Starbucks Dark Cherry Christmas Mocha in a mug saying 'World's Best Boss'?

ReputationRep:
      Touche. Ill buy you a Dark Cherry Mocha when i see you next. I expect a reaction.

(Original post by JakeF)
        Touche. Ill buy you a Dark Cherry Mocha when i see you next. I expect a reaction.
        Polite indifference...?

But maybe it really is that good.

ReputationRep:
        Polite indifference...?

But maybe it really is that good.
        Id have accepted indifference, but from you Ben, polite indifference, itll be like Christmas has come early

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.