Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car?? (It's not a FIRST car) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my dad's company car policy thing is coming to an end. It's got third person insurance thingy or whatever - meaning I get free insurance. (So I'd be like insured to drive anything) I'm 17 - been driving for several months already. He lets me use his car most of the time - it's basically mine - so I get a say in the car. But being a complete girl I've no idea!!
    I want a Volvo XC90. But apparently that isn't appropriate for a 17 year old to drive.. :/
    So help please?? Criteria:
    - Dad would like it to be fuel efficient (another reason he turned down the XC90 idea)
    - Low tax
    - Stylish && not what every 17/18 year old has.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

PS: oh yeah, we have a Seat Ibiza right now..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?? :/

ReputationRep:
    Budget?

ReputationRep:
    Yes budget

ReputationRep:
    Maybe your dad should pick his own car and stop spoiling his kid. Also, an XC90 for a 17 year old?! Did you pick that buy flicking through autotrader and picking any random car?

ReputationRep:
    Budget?

If I were him I would get a 320d, but I wouldn't let a 17 year old drive that. What about a Focus 1.6 TDCI? Or a BMW 118d?

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised that, as a 17 year old girl, you're not pining after a Mini Cooper.

ReputationRep:
    ford focus

ReputationRep:
    maybe 'daddy' can hire a butler for his little princess to make the decision for her

ReputationRep:
    Jealously gets you no where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Budget?
    There isn't one :L It's company car, so it doesn't matter. The only thing we get charged is the tax. No one neg me because of this please!! It's not my fault my dad gets a car with his job..

(Original post by tface)
    Maybe your dad should pick his own car and stop spoiling his kid. Also, an XC90 for a 17 year old?! Did you pick that buy flicking through autotrader and picking any random car?
    But it's mine as well. And read above. And I picked it because they look cool, 4x4 style, but I'd rather not have a landrover/rangerover (what's the difference? ) because that's like typical OC kid.

(Original post by 1992LP)
    Budget?

If I were him I would get a 320d, but I wouldn't let a 17 year old drive that. What about a Focus 1.6 TDCI? Or a BMW 118d?
    Why can't a 17 drive a 320d? I just looked it up, they look nicee.

(Original post by kat2pult)
    I'm surprised that, as a 17 year old girl, you're not pining after a Mini Cooper.
    I would... but this girl I HATE got one brand new and so I can't get one now. (Pink metal wheel things - YUCK!)

ReputationRep:
    e30

Keepin it real

OT out

Pic here:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In the looney bin)
    maybe 'daddy' can hire a butler for his little princess to make the decision for her
    Sorry but how is this post little miss rich kid? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    There isn't one :L It's company car, so it doesn't matter. The only thing we get charged is the tax. No one neg me because of this please!! It's not my fault my dad gets a car with his job..

But it's mine as well. And read above. And I picked it because they look cool, 4x4 style, but I'd rather not have a landrover/rangerover (what's the difference? ) because that's like typical OC kid.

Why can't a 17 drive a 320d? I just looked it up, they look nicee.

I would... but this girl I HATE got one brand new and so I can't get one now. (Pink metal wheel things - YUCK!)
    Even with a company car there has to be a budget. He clearly can't pick a ferrari or a continental GT. Most parents wouldn't let a kid drive a 320d because the typical 17 year old girl doesn't have the skill/experience to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Even with a company car there has to be a budget. He clearly can't pick a ferrari or a continental GT. Most parents wouldn't let a kid drive a 320d because the typical 17 year old girl doesn't have the skill/experience to do so.
    His boss (which isn't that much above him..) has a ferrari.. My dad only picked an seat ibiza because he couldn't be bothered to choose any thing else. So not a ferrari but almost one.
    So it's worse than a xc90 - the 320d?
    I'm quite a safe driver anyway Only crashed once whilst trying to park (scratched the car).

Edit: ignore the top line me comparing a ferari to a seat ibiza, no idea what was thinking at the time but clearly i wasnt thinking what i was writing!

ReputationRep:
    His boss (which isn't that much above him..) has a ferrari.. My dad only picked an seat ibiza because he couldn't be bothered to choose any thing else. So not a ferrari but almost one.
    So it's worse than a xc90 - the 320d?
    I'm quite a safe driver anyway Only crashed once whilst trying to park (scratched the car).
    Lol so a 320d is definately out the question.

ReputationRep:
    VW Golf R32 (old model if budget is low) got all the power you will ever need, nice too.
    Dont kill yourself with it btw :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Lol so a 320d is definately out the question.
    ah okay lol.
    (Original post by JNuttall)
    VW Golf R32 (old model if budget is low) got all the power you will ever need, nice too.
    Dont kill yourself with it btw :P.
    VW Golfs and ford focuses remind me of mums' cars. They don't seem that appealing for younger drivers :/
    But a VW bug, what's that like now? like a proper vintage style one - just new because I wouldn't like it to break down a lot :')

ReputationRep:
    ah okay lol.

VW Golfs and ford focuses remind me of mums' cars. They don't seem that appealing for younger drivers :/
    But a VW bug, what's that like now? like a proper vintage style one - just new because I wouldn't like it to break down a lot :')
    Not an R32 twin exhaust 3.2L V6 in white look it up man.

ReputationRep:
    So my dad's company car policy thing is coming to an end. It's got third person insurance thingy or whatever - meaning I get free insurance. (So I'd be like insured to drive anything) I'm 17 - been driving for several months already. He lets me use his car most of the time - it's basically mine - so I get a say in the car. But being a complete girl I've no idea!!
    I want a Volvo XC90. But apparently that isn't appropriate for a 17 year old to drive.. :/
    So help please?? Criteria:
    - Dad would like it to be fuel efficient (another reason he turned down the XC90 idea)
    - Low tax
    - Stylish && not what every 17/18 year old has.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

PS: oh yeah, we have a Seat Ibiza right now..
    Id go for either a hyundai i20, peugeot 207 or nissan micra.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.