Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depressed engineering student in QM wants to go to UCL but has to drop out... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a 1st year undergrad currently undertaking an engineering course at QMUL, however, after a semmester I have been really unsatisfied with the university and I want to move to a better uni; UCL
    the 2010 Intake for universities was very intense seeing a record number of students without a place at all. I got my place in queen mary after failing to get into UCL, I want to undertake a different course. Having tlaked to UCL they do not do transfers and sadly I need to undergo that process of UCAS once again. I really need advice as my depression has returned regarding this matter. I feel really unhappy in QMUL and i dont wanna be unhappy even more for the next 3 years. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to a direction?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don`t know if I can give you an advice, but I was in the similar situation. I`m an international student and was in management course in Cass Business School, City Uni London in this year. However I withdrew from the course as the course wasn`t what I expected. I`m actually good at maths, but as you know the management course has almost nothing to do with numbers. I felt like I was learing nothing. My friends actually told me not to go for manegement but I didn`t listen to them and finally end up regretting applying for the course. I requested a transfer to another course but was told it was too late, then when I was in week 6, I decided to quit the uni even though I was the only one who was awarded a scholarship. The decision was very difficult to make as I am a mature student. But I couldn`t stand to pay much money on the useless subject. I am not a rich international student unlike others. I paid for the tuition fee by my mum`s life insurance and also stayed in an estate in east end ghetto eating cheap food. I am leaving this country in this Saturday and planning to work full time in my country Japan. I might forget Englisg during the gap year, am still scared of what is gonna happen later, but I will do my best in the next accademic year and keep going. UCAS process is not so troublesome, is it? I think if you stay in the uni, you might get low grades due to luck of interet. Now you have the results of A level, so why don`t you apply for only unis you like? It seams like uni tuition fee for home students will rise from 2012 so this is the only chance that you can change the uni. I want you to study where you like.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so going to UCL will magic away your depression? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasu723)
    Hi, I don`t know if I can give you an advice, but I was in the similar situation. I`m an international student and was in management course in Cass Business School, City Uni London in this year. However I withdrew from the course as the course wasn`t what I expected. I`m actually good at maths, but as you know the management course has almost nothing to do with numbers. I felt like I was learing nothing. My friends actually told me not to go for manegement but I didn`t listen them and finally end up regretting applying for the course. I requested a transfer to another course but was told it was too late, then when I was in week 6, I decided to quit the uni even though I was the only one who was awarded a scholarship. The decision was very difficult to make as I am a mature student. But I couldn`t stand to pay much money on the useless subject. I am not a rich international student unlike others. I paid for the tuition fee by my mum`s life insurance and also stayed in an estate in east end ghetto eating cheap food. I am leaving this country in this Saturday and planning to work full time in my country Japan. I might forget Englisg during the gap year, am still scared of what is gonna happen later, but I will do my best in the next accademic year and keep going. UCAS process is not so troublesome, is it? I think if you stay in the uni, you might get low grades due to luck of interet. Now you have the results of A level, so why don`t you apply for only unis you like? It seams like uni tuition fee for home students will rise from 2012 so this is the only chance that you can change the uni. I want you to study where you like.
    Just watch movies in english, read english books and talk to native speakers and you will keep your level of english up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasu723)
    Hi, I don`t know if I can give you an advice, but I was in the similar situation. I`m an international student and was in management course in Cass Business School, City Uni London in this year. However I withdrew from the course as the course wasn`t what I expected. I`m actually good at maths, but as you know the management course has almost nothing to do with numbers. I felt like I was learing nothing. My friends actually told me not to go for manegement but I didn`t listen them and finally end up regretting applying for the course. I requested a transfer to another course but was told it was too late, then when I was in week 6, I decided to quit the uni even though I was the only one who was awarded a scholarship. The decision was very difficult to make as I am a mature student. But I couldn`t stand to pay much money on the useless subject. I am not a rich international student unlike others. I paid for the tuition fee by my mum`s life insurance and also stayed in an estate in east end ghetto eating cheap food. I am leaving this country in this Saturday and planning to work full time in my country Japan. I might forget Englisg during the gap year, am still scared of what is gonna happen later, but I will do my best in the next accademic year and keep going. UCAS process is not so troublesome, is it? I think if you stay in the uni, you might get low grades due to luck of interet. Now you have the results of A level, so why don`t you apply for only unis you like? It seams like uni tuition fee for home students will rise from 2012 so this is the only chance that you can change the uni. I want you to study where you like.
    Ah yeah, I am really losing interest in my course at the moment, tomorrow is a crucial day as voting for the rise of tuition frees happen. Being a person from a low background I think that having the vote go thru will devistate me if i happen to fail to get into university next year and reapplying for 2012. I need to be brave and bold about my decision whether to drop out or not. To be honest I only got a week until the semster ends and i got until around mid Janurary to apply. I am really under pressure, I havent slept last night and it might end up with me not sleeping again tonight><

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.