Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...ine?intcmp=239

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...assange-police

Please note that not only has Assange been arrested but Visa has withdrawn its support for donations as well as Swiss banks and PayPal.

Feel free to discuss anything on this topic.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know:
    Assange + lawyers agreed to hand himself over.
    Site was always under attack -> reason why Amazon dropped hosting.
    Site would continue to leak as usual.
    If site is unable to continue to do so, password to "insurance" files gets leaked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by one-final-hit)
    As far as I know:
    Assange + lawyers agreed to hand himself over.
    Site was always under attack -> reason why Amazon dropped hosting.
    Site would continue to leak as usual.
    Yes.
    Questionable.
    Yes.

The main issue I find is that Sweden is making an Interpol plea for Assange's arrest when they have never done so before for other sex offenders committing similar crimes. The corruption, whilst not clear, seems to be blatant.

ReputationRep:
    *tin foil hat on*

Yup, I even feel afraid to speak my mind now.

*tin foil hat off*

He's free to say what he likes - freedom of speech doesn't include publishing secret data.

I think you're overreacting as to the implications if the Americans prosecute him. It could be said that the cyber attacks on sites that have ceased to work with Wikileaks are just as oppressive as they are attacking sites for exersising their freedom of choice.

He's wanted in connection with a crime, he should relent to the democratic principles he purportes to support and answer any charges brought against him or simply answer the questions.

The idea of him potentially escaping punishment for a crime that he committed just because he's in the spotlight at the moment sickens me more than the idea of all these documents that are being kept hidden from public view do.

ReputationRep:
    It started with The Student Room then Twitter then Facebook now Wikileaks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Ok Assange being arrested is not an attack on freedom of speech. He is being arrested for rape not for what he said.

However the US pressuering companies to abandon wikileaks is a clear attempt to silence Wikileaks.

So much for the land of the free and the home of the brave. Land of the corrupt home of the tyrant.

ReputationRep:
    So that's what freedom of speech is?
    Ah in that case I can go through your bins, find credit card statements and publish them online?

Many of the advocates of free press/speech also advocate freedom of privacy, the two do not necessarily conflict.

I do agree with a lot of what they have done however... But still...

ReputationRep:
    Free Speech never existed in the first place. It was just a tool to gain the trust of sheep citizens.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.