Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Dear TSR Community,

I am coming to the end of a Joint Honours degree BA English Literature and Philosophy, at University of Leeds and am looking at doing further study. I don't have any academic aspirations past MA at the moment- I would simply love to further my knowledge and allow myself to explore my interests more thoroughly.

I want to defer my entry to enter 2012/13 academic year (to work and travel for a year so I have some money and a bit of break from study, plus so I finally have time to read more literature away from education)

I hope to achieve a high 2:1, possibly a 1st (though unlikely unless I really don't enjoy my final year here).

I am keen to continue studying both disciplines of my BA, with an interpolation of philosophical theory within literature. I have a pretty clear picture of what I want to study and research, with a leaning towards postmodernism and other contemporary theory, metafiction, narrative theory, continental philosophy etc....mostly within contemporary literature (though I specifically don't want a degree which is limited by a certain period as I feel this may be a limiting factor).

So far I've been looking at Warwick's degrees, which I have been recommended- MA Philosophy and Literature is particularly of interest due to the department's continental philosophy strengths. But I'm unsure if this would be limiting for my English Lit. interests. I think the uni places this interdisciplinary masters within the Philosophy department and as such, not sure if I could easily consult some people within Warwick's English dept. who I have read. If anyone is Warwick MA student in English/Philosophy or the above course, perhaps I could ask some questions?

I've also looked at Eng. Lit. at Queen Mary, as Mark Currie is the Professor of Contemporary Lit. and I would be interested to be taught by him, having read most of his work.

If anyone can give me more advice about institutions which might be of interest to me (and for what reasons), or can provide me with more information on the programmes above, I'd be very grateful.

PS: More general question which has been bugging me. If I apply this year for deferred entry, would my fees still skyrocket under new ConDem policy or would I escape the wrath of inflated tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concept_)
    […] I am coming to the end of a Joint Honours degree BA English Literature and Philosophy, at University of Leeds and am looking at doing further study. I don't have any academic aspirations past MA at the moment- I would simply love to further my knowledge and allow myself to explore my interests more thoroughly. [...]

I am keen to continue studying both disciplines of my BA, with an interpolation of philosophical theory within literature. I have a pretty clear picture of what I want to study and research, with a leaning towards postmodernism and other contemporary theory, metafiction, narrative theory, continental philosophy etc....mostly within contemporary literature (though I specifically don't want a degree which is limited by a certain period as I feel this may be a limiting factor).

So far I've been looking at Warwick's degrees, which I have been recommended- MA Philosophy and Literature is particularly of interest due to the department's continental philosophy strengths. But I'm unsure if this would be limiting for my English Lit. interests. I think the uni places this interdisciplinary masters within the Philosophy department and as such, not sure if I could easily consult some people within Warwick's English dept. who I have read. If anyone is Warwick MA student in English/Philosophy or the above course, perhaps I could ask some questions?

I've also looked at Eng. Lit. at Queen Mary, as Mark Currie is the Professor of Contemporary Lit. and I would be interested to be taught by him, having read most of his work.

If anyone can give me more advice about institutions which might be of interest to me (and for what reasons), or can provide me with more information on the programmes above, I'd be very grateful.

PS: More general question which has been bugging me. If I apply this year for deferred entry, would my fees still skyrocket under new ConDem policy or would I escape the wrath of inflated tuition fees?
    With regards to tuition fees, the relative paper did not mention anything solid about postgraduate education in general so, in the short and medium term, universities are unlikely to raise their fees. But if undergraduate fees increase then postgraduate fees would likely increase to become more equivalent; some postgraduate fees are actually higher than undergraduate ones at the moment – I pay £4450 at Bristol, for example, while Edinburgh charges over £5000 for their taught arts programmes.

With regards to your interests, you will find that you are free to explore whatever options you want at postgraduate level, though I strongly advise selecting a university and programme that suits you. For example, I was an English graduate, but now I do European Literatures. Yes I have core units, but for the essays I am allowed to make my own essay titles or include other texts alongside, which I am doing for this term's core unit. It gives you a chance to show off. I am also doing an independent study unit to build up my knowledge of eighteenth-century German philosophy to help with my dissertation, which focuses on a particular German philosopher's impact on Russian nationalism/intellectual thought, with an interest in Dostoevsky. See how different this is to what I did in English? In reality, I used my third-year extended essay to write on Dostoevsky's Notes from the Underground, and everything basically went from there.

With regards to your narrative interests more specifically, it will depend on whether you prefer literature or philosophy, because I imagine it would be harder to find a programme that was suited towards explicit theory in literature than to find a philosophy department that was interested in language; my experience with the former is generally positive, and I am almost certain that they would let you use literary texts if you were to discuss these sorts of things anyway. For instance, I was at a philosophy conference where a PhD was giving a paper on something to do with Thomas Nagel and first-person perspectives, and the audience suggested she should use literary examples. I am not too keen on contemporary literature and thought so I cannot offer alternative supervisors and universities, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    BA English Literature and Philosophy
    Wow, this enthralled me instantly. How was/is that degree? It sounds immensely interesting.

ReputationRep:
    evantej

Thanks for the advice. Your own research sounds interesting. How does the independent study unit of your course work? Is it just a credit allocation of personally-led research or do you get guidance from staff who know what they are talking about? Is it something you might approach Bristol philosophy dept. with? Like you, this (third year) seems to already be allowing me to study things which I'd want to continue with @ MA.
    Think, I'll have to look more carefully at both English and Philosophy depts. at universities and how much scope there is for interdisciplinary research individually if I want to continue with the stuff that I would like to study.

@ Mr. Inquisitive

It's a great degree but its a joint honours course so not quite as hybridised at you might expect ('philosophy of literature' for eg.). More just bits of English, bits of Philosophy- I might hazard to emphasise this as a potential problem for all Joint Honours programs if you have a more specific interest. I think that was quite misleading when I chose it as I was under the pretense of looking into the philosophy of writers like Camus, Kafka, Borges; but it's not quite as instantaneous or coalescent. Not that it matters because it was definitely better to get a gradual, broadened outlook on that stuff and it's intellectual heritage, and final year is quite different anyway. I have the opportunity to brings the theory and the philosophy together this year, and Leeds has a great English department and there's some brilliant aestheticians within the philosophy dept. PM me if you have any questions i guess.

ReputationRep:
    How about doing an Mphil, or a research style MA so that you can tailor the course to suit your needs??
    It will also help to prepare your research skills for possible future doctorate study.
    I did a reasearch MA at staffs uni, as they offered an MA called 'Negotiated Studies', where you plan your whole 180 credits and programme of research, and what you wish your MA to be titled.
    You then have to convince the Learning Board that this is a worthy and 'do-able' study (as you would for a PhD), and then you can commence on your self taught course, normally with a principle and secondary supervisor.

I loved having control over my own course, and found it both challenging and rewarding

ReputationRep:
    evantej

Thanks for the advice. Your own research sounds interesting. How does the independent study unit of your course work? Is it just a credit allocation of personally-led research or do you get guidance from staff who know what they are talking about? Is it something you might approach Bristol philosophy dept. with? Like you, this (third year) seems to already be allowing me to study things which I'd want to continue with @ MA.

Think, I'll have to look more carefully at both English and Philosophy depts. at universities and how much scope there is for interdisciplinary research individually if I want to continue with the stuff that I would like to study. [...]
    The independent unit is somewhere between both your suggestions; you can research and write on anything you want so long as someone can actually supervise you. I have already had guidance from the staff member in question, and will continue to get guidance whenever I need it!

ReputationRep:
    @jaime1986- I thought to pursue research programs but think I would prefer the structure and eclecticism offered by a broader MA type program. I should mention I don't really have aspirations to follow into doctorate study...I just want to explore philosophy and lit. together a bit more before potentially finishing with education.

I've been recommended Uni. East Anglia and Uni. of Sussex on top of Warwick. Both offer Philosophy and Literature courses. Anyone know anything about these institutions/courses?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.