Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In 1982 a small film by Disney came out called Tron. It possessed state-of-the-art technology, a very interesting premise, the acting powerhouse that is Jeff Bridges and pretty positive reviews (including the highest rating possible from Roger Ebert). In spite of all of this, the film did averagely at the box office and was shunned at the Oscars, where it missed out on the best visual effects award to E.T. because voters thought that in order to get computer-generated effects all you had to do was feed code into a computer and get pretty pictures out.

Indeed, the film could have slipped into obscurity were it not for one thing; timing. The children that would grow up to shape the future of culture with technology grew up watching this. It is no coincidence that Tron has been mentioned in many shows such as Family Guy and South Park. Key figures in Pixar and Disney grew up loving the film. And so, 26 years later, we have a sequel.

This sequel faces several unique challenges. Firstly, the nature of it's story has changed. The original Tron was groundbreaking because nobody understood computers; today, everyone uses them. For Tron to have the same impact it has to predict the future of our connected lives, which will be much harder this time around.

Secondly, it's a sequel to a film very few of it's audience will have seen, a problem compounded by the fact that a panicked Disney has made the original nigh-on impossible to get hold of because they are afraid it will put new audiences off. It's going to have to make new viewers care about characters when these feelings should already have been established, while not getting too bogged down in the details to stop the progression of the story.

But it has the potential to be a lot of fun. The technology behind the film looks breathtakingly good, ushering in the future of cinema in much the way the original did, with IMAX 3D technology and digital-rendering of Bridges' face to de-age him. It also features a Daft Punk (another set of fans since childhood) composed score with a full orchestra, which sounds fantastic. Many of the original crew are involved in the project to help maintain a similar feeling, and yet it also has plenty of fresh blood to keep it original. Oh, and it still has lightcycles, and they look cooler than ever. The coolest way to get around since podracers.

I'm very excited about this film, and I'm really hoping they haven't made it crap. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Excellent article on Tron from Wired: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/11/ff_tron/

Subscribed. :gah:

Tron...going to be s'good. :coma: Something to look forward to this Christmas. :jive:

Cool pics

ReputationRep:
      Got my tickets for the midnight launch :woo:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by cambo211)
      At an IMAX?

(Original post by cambo211)
        Do midnight launches enhance the overall experience? I would always imagine being sleepy during the film. :moon:

ReputationRep:
        Tron = Epic win.

ReputationRep:
        Tron = :coma:

want to see it so so so so so bad, one of the best things I've seen on it so far, apart from the light cycles and olivia wilde, is michael sheen playing air guitar with a cane

actually can't wait for this film

Any idea where I can watch the original Tron? I really want to watch it before the Tron: Legacy viewing.

ReputationRep:
          I can't wait for this :sogood:

It has a soundtrack by daft punk as well :woo:

The bikes just look epic, I love this sort of futuristic stuff...can't wait to watch!

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
          Any idea where I can watch the original Tron? I really want to watch it before the Tron: Legacy viewing.
          They keep showing it on Sky Modern Greats. Aside from that, you're not going to be able unless you know a mate with a copy or bend the law.

(Original post by Scubar)
          michael sheen playing air guitar with a cane
          Oh god yes, first time I saw that I almost yelped with delight. :p:

I think one of the coolest things is when Clu's mask peels back in that ridiculously fancy way and then all of a sudden you're staring at a 30-year old Jeff Bridges.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          You HAVEN'T watched the first one?? :zomg:
          I thought that you out of all people would have...

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Phalanges)
          At an IMAX?
          I wish

Just at the local Vue unfortunately. :emo:

Do midnight launches enhance the overall experience? I would always imagine being sleepy during the film. :moon:
          If i get a bit of sleep in the afternoon all should be fine.

Midnight launches always have a nice atmosphere to them cos it's only people who are really interested in the film who turn up.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

I think one of the coolest things is when Clu's mask peels back in that ridiculously fancy way and then all of a sudden you're staring at a 30-year old Jeff Bridges.
          But the CGI looks so...lifeless. :afraid:

Still, film WILL be amazing.

ReputationRep:
          They keep showing it on Sky Modern Greats. Aside from that, you're not going to be able unless you know a mate with a copy or bend the law.

Oh god yes, first time I saw that I almost yelped with delight. :p:

have you seen any of the new trailers? it's so uncanny, the stuff they can do nowadays, it's incredible

ARGH! can't wait, gonna have to steal it from somewhere, then post it on the internet for everybody else to see

ReputationRep:
          OMGOMGOMG!

The original tron is on demand on skyplayer!!!!11!!!

ReputationRep:
          Weird! I was listening to the soundtrack when I saw this thread. I thought the movie was out already.
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Panda Bear)
          Weird! I was listening to the soundtrack when I saw this thread. I thought the movie was out already.
          Soundtrack rocks...in a soundtrack-y way. :woo:

(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
            Soundtrack rocks...in a soundtrack-y way. :woo:
            Soundtrack rocks...in a Daft Punky sort of way. :p:

(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
              You HAVEN'T watched the first one?? :zomg:
              I thought that you out of all people would have...

ReputationRep:
              Olivia Wilde + Daft Punk = win.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What newspaper do you read/prefer?
            Useful resources
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.