The Student Room Group

Would like to persue career in Journalism, possibly English at uni!

Hey guy's- i know i have posted so much of this stuff but others opinions are so reasurring.
Its that stressfull time of chosing a levels and i am so stuck...

Definite
English lit
Geography

Considering
History- bare in mind i haven't done the gcse, any ideas on this?
Physcology- is this essay based and would it go well with english?
Spanish- Enjoy languages- not so great on the speaking part what do you think?
Art- just because i enjoy it so much- but am willing to carry on as hobby
RS/ philosophy- Find it pretty easy...

IDEAS please and thoughts on history without the gcse!
Thanks.....
Reply 1
Which subjects are you most interested in? Which ones are most attractive for you to study for the next two years? They are all well respected enough. Just bear in mind that journalism is ridiculously competitive, so you may not achieve that target - have a backup plan.

I recommend History, you can do it without the GCSE. If it interests you and you are a capable essay writer, go for it imho.

And also bear in mind that a language opens up opportunities to spend time abroad etc.

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I presume you intend to "persue" a career with the "Grunaid"

:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DJKL
I presume you intend to "persue" a career with the "Grunaid"

:smile:

try to ignore the spelling, its late haha.
Reply 4
I'd say go for History, I loved it at GCSE but apparently at A level it's quite different to the GCSE course, I know people who did it and enjoyed it but there were a lot of essays to write. A friend of mine did Geography A level without a GCSE and she didn't do too badly on it, I know it's not History but I don't think you necessarily need the GCSE to do the A level but obviously it helps.

I'd probably go for Art as well considering you enjoy it so much, plus it'd make a nice change from subjects where you'll probably have to write a lot of essays, unless you like writing them!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
The speaking becomes the easier part! In regards to Spanish. I generally found it a lot of work and very difficult at the start, it gets easier as the year goes on but does require a good bit of effort. You have to want to do this, put it that way. If you do enjoy it though, it becomes so much more interesting (I loved it, even if I didn't do so well in the end). I learnt more about language structure learning Spanish than I ever did in English (GCSE and below).

History would be fantastic, I have a couple of friends who didn't do it and GCSE and are enjoying it/doing fine so I doubt it would be a problem. It's technique, rather than building on previous knowledge.

I'd say RS or so would be good. It's the sort of thing which would probably provide a bit of background/wider knowledge around literature texts. Not an expert on this though!

Quick Reply

Latest