The Student Room Group

As retakes, A2 revision, history coursework..so so stressed. AM I ALONEE?!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by helpneeded-a
what board are you on in politics/what route?
Edexcel and we're studying US government and politics :smile: Youu?

Also, about history revision, you don't need to read 5-8 books fully...I'm not sure if this will apply to you or not, but for me, I'm studying one particular event in the British Empire, so all the books I have are on the British Empire in general and I just look for my event in the index. It's usually only a few pages on the event, but I can still list the whole book as a reference :biggrin:
I was in a similar position, to some extent I still am. Start of the year I was dreading the two huge pieces of A2 coursework. Now they're done it feels so awesome, I just generally feel good about getting them done and I'm more relaxed.

It worked out well for me, kinda. Those were my only pieces of coursework for the whole year, so from now in it's pure exam work and revision.
Original post by Shkilla
Edexcel and we're studying US government and politics :smile: Youu?

Also, about history revision, you don't need to read 5-8 books fully...I'm not sure if this will apply to you or not, but for me, I'm studying one particular event in the British Empire, so all the books I have are on the British Empire in general and I just look for my event in the index. It's usually only a few pages on the event, but I can still list the whole book as a reference :biggrin:

But i have about 2 -3 books i defo have to read fully to know what went on in teh 100 years in russia, otherwise i wont know hat im talking about in my essay :frown: lol

AND...i'm doing the same as you :P

My teacher just finished teaching us governing the US tpday, so weve done half teh course already..she said we're going to go over it about 3-4 more times! How far are you on your course?

i'm on political parties on the other one. ;o
Reply 23
Dude, I'm doing Russian History coursework :smile:

Try to focus on one thing at a time regarding revision, coursework etc.
My teachers have divided the coursework up into 4 sections (related to time-periods) to make it easier for us, so we only have to write in 500-1500 word segments.
Original post by Captain92
Dude, I'm doing Russian History coursework :smile:

Try to focus on one thing at a time regarding revision, coursework etc.
My teachers have divided the coursework up into 4 sections (related to time-periods) to make it easier for us, so we only have to write in 500-1500 word segments.

help me. lol

What question are you doing?
oh god history coursework here too. In my case it's Elizabeth I, boring.

Not to mention english coursework and **** loads of revision to do...
Reply 26
help me. lol

What question are you doing?

Success of Stalin's economic policies compared to the Tsars/ Lenin/ Khrushchev

How have you structured yours? I presume we have the same set-up.
I've just got 20-25 quotes, half of them primary, half secondary, half supporting the question and half against.
With facts and explanations about the historians that the quotes are from built in.
Success of Stalin's economic policies compared to the Tsars/ Lenin/ Khrushchev

How have you structured yours? I presume we have the same set-up.
I've just got 20-25 quotes, half of them primary, half secondary, half supporting the question and half against.
With facts and explanations about the historians that the quotes are from built in.

Sounds like your doing part A first :frown:
Im doing B
and mone is on whether world war 1 was a turning point in he development of modern russia between 1856-1964 (tsars/romanovs,emancipation of serfs, stalin, lenin, 1917 revolution, 1905 revolution, civil war..)
Reply 28
Sounds like your doing part A first :frown:
Im doing B
and mone is on whether world war 1 was a turning point in he development of modern russia between 1856-1964 (tsars/romanovs,emancipation of serfs, stalin, lenin, 1917 revolution, 1905 revolution, civil war..)

Nice question though! Lots of room to explore, and plenty of historians opinions to wade through.
You'll do great! Just keep in contact with your teachers, see if they'll let you look at any example essays or something.
My bf did the same course last year (same school as me, same teachers as I currently have) and they wrote a mock essay for his class to study because it was a brand new course. So see if yours will do stuff like that. He said it really helped him! :smile:
Nice question though! Lots of room to explore, and plenty of historians opinions to wade through.
You'll do great! Just keep in contact with your teachers, see if they'll let you look at any example essays or something.
My bf did the same course last year (same school as me, same teachers as I currently have) and they wrote a mock essay for his class to study because it was a brand new course. So see if yours will do stuff like that. He said it really helped him! :smile:

My teacher isn't going to give us sample essays because she thinks we'll copy them:frown:
AS Biology re-takes + 7 exams next month, chemistry exam next week and rejection from oxford, could not be more depressed
Original post by Eloades11
AS Biology re-takes + 7 exams next month, chemistry exam next week and rejection from oxford, could not be more depressed

I know how you feel about the Oxford rejection...I got one the other day for Ancient and Modern History :frown: ...Could not feel more rubbish at History right now!

And OP, it's all about time management, I know how you feel; I have an A2 Ethics exam in Januray, As History re-sit and As Ethics re-sit plus History c/w but that's nearly done because I'm working though it!

Just keep reminding yourself what's at the end of all this work, a place at Uni doing what you want to study, to me that's such a great incentive and as long as you find something to work for, whatever it may be, you'd be surprised how you get this suddent burst of determination!

What I do when I have a pile of work is say after school, go home and have a bit of chill out time for say half an hour then start on what needs to be done first. Don't forget to take breaks if your feeling strained, go and watch TV...comedy seems to get me relaxed lol. If you have free periods during school, use them! I'm doing that more often with Jan exams nearing and I'm getting so much work done in the library! :smile:

Take it as it comes, no one said it would be easy but I'm sure you'll do great in your exams and your coursework but keep persisting and you'll be fine! :smile:
Original post by stef.strawbs.123
I know how you feel about the Oxford rejection...I got one the other day for Ancient and Modern History :frown: ...Could not feel more rubbish at History right now!

Have you heard from anywhere else?(where else did you apply?)

It wasnt the biggest let down for me, I had a conditional offer from warwick which is where I want to go before I got acknowledgement from oxford, so I was happy whatever the outcome. Plus my grades were:poo:
Reply 33
ooh history coursework is getting everyone down at the moment I see :frown: my history teacher made us do our coursework during October half term, we had literally had like a month learning the content and then we had to write the essays in like a space of a week. I was pissed at the time, but am glad now, cause at least it is done and dusted.

on the note of having to read 5-8 books OP, you don't. I had about 11 books referenced in my coursework, but I only read the sections relevant to my question (Nazi Germany, cheery stuff). so it won't take as long as you think. get that done, and then focus on your revision I would :smile:

I have 4 exams in January! kill. me. now.
a biology resit, a chemistry resit (I need an A in bio and a B in chem) and then my new biology and new chemistry. I am starting to HATE these friggin' subjects lol.
You genuinely just summed up my life!
History Resit
English Language A Level EXAM (which I am majorly freaking out about :|)
History Coursework
Drama Practical
EPQ (which I hate my school for making us do)

(Plus all my extra-curricular stuff which normally fits in quite happily but I have a piano exam and my driving test in the next couple of weeks as well as trying to get in loads of work exp before my interview at the beginning of Feb!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
Econ 1,2 and 3
Bus 1 and 3
History 2 (Second to third reich + Unification of Italy) History Vietnam sources coursework
:frown: haha.
Original post by JNuttall
Econ 1,2 and 3
Bus 1 and 3
History 2 (Second to third reich + Unification of Italy) History Vietnam sources coursework
:frown: haha.

Your doing eco and history! sweet!

I'm resitting unit 2 eco (to get a from B. I WAS 4 MARKS OFFF!!)
And im resitting unit 1 history and unit 2( unit 2 to get C to A)

im doing same topic as you for unit 1! how's revision going?:P
Reply 37
stressed =
english lit re-do of AS coursework
english lit A2 coursework
history A2 coursework, both pieces
history AS resit of both exams in january
english lit AS resit of exam in january
spanish AS oral resit
spanish AS written resit
spanish A2 oral
Spanish A2 written
SATs.

what a fun year...
Original post by dodo21
stressed =
english lit re-do of AS coursework
english lit A2 coursework
history A2 coursework, both pieces
history AS resit of both exams in january
english lit AS resit of exam in january
spanish AS oral resit
spanish AS written resit
spanish A2 oral
Spanish A2 written
SATs.

what a fun year...

ok, you beat me! what grades do you need? :frown:
Reply 39
Your doing eco and history! sweet!

I'm resitting unit 2 eco (to get a from B. I WAS 4 MARKS OFFF!!)
And im resitting unit 1 history and unit 2( unit 2 to get C to A)

im doing same topic as you for unit 1! how's revision going?:P

Im going for an A hopefully i got D in unit 1 and 2 econ last year it took a while to "click" for me as its so theoretical rather than applicable to real life, it "clicked" in unit 3 hhah. hard luck regarding the 4 marks off lol. the multiple choice lost me loads of marks :frown:.

As for History im on a B from last year, but i got a C in unit 2.

Not so good lol havent done any history revision, ive done some unit 1 econ and a bit of business unit 1(but thats not a priority as im already on an A).
Last year i did a timeline of all the significant events in the time period found that quite helpful. Wbu have you done much revision?

Quick Reply

Latest